Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th July 2009, 04:17 PM
garaden Offline

Network connection intermittent after DHCP configuration

I'm having a bizarre problem where my network connection stops working randomly. At first I thought it was a DNS issue since Firefox simply chilled out on "Looking up [hostname]" until it timed out, but after further investigation (pinging IP's, "host" and "dig" being unable to reach servers) it became apparent that I couldn't even access the DNS servers i.e. the Wicked Connection of the East was most sincerely dead.

There are two strange things about this: one, there are no errors except "timeout". The network manager is happy, Firefox is happy until the lookup fails...

Two, the failures only start *after* DHCP configuration. DHCP configuration never has any trouble sending or receiving packets. I'm going to try static IP and whatnot to see if that helps, more information later.
Old 17th July 2009, 05:18 PM
CSchwangler Offline

What exactly do you mean by 'after DHCP configuration'? I haven't configured DHCP, it just broadcasts the network searching for a DHCP server and if it gets response it uses the provide IP address.
Old 17th July 2009, 07:29 PM
garaden Offline

By "after DHCP configuration" I mean "after DHCP autoconfigures the interface". I'm just saying it's highly suspicious that there are never any connection issues during the autoconfiguration process, only afterwards. If the cable/jack/switch/whatever was bad, I would expect DHCP to time out too every once in a while. But it looks like not using DHCP (i.e. static IP) didn't help...
Old 31st July 2009, 02:39 PM
garaden Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Ok, looks like DHCP was sometimes failing to connect as well. The problem was resolved after some maintenance to the phone system...? At any rate, it wasn't Fedora.

Tags
configuration, connection, dhcp, intermittent, network