FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    No sound in Fedora 11, (plus now a multitude of other problems)

    I have recently upgraded to 11. It all worked fine this morning, then suddenly the little volume control in the top right vanished and I have no sound from mplayer or amsn or error sounds or start up sounds or anything

    EXCEPT! all videos and sounds on the internet play fine, like you tube etc...??

    I am a total newbie to linux btw so take it easy with me please
    Last edited by ppyvabw; 17th July 2009 at 01:43 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow this guide and see if everything works out
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=225660

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mir space station
    Age
    48
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guide above though, will install on your system the kde libs as well. Maybe try removing and reinstalling only paulseaudio

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, I'll do that now but I have just come to my computer to discover there is no option under system to shut down, so I cannot switch off. Also it won't detect that my portable hard drive is plugged in. It has not been switch off since last night so this has all happened over night.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That didn't work.

    There's so many problem with it I'm just going to download the live iso again and re install. When I did it the other day it was an upgrade from 10 which also had problems, then I used the same disc to try reinstall again, twice as the second time didn't work properly either.

    Don't know if it's the disc at fault as I'm not an expert. I am half tempted to stick xp back on. Never had any trouble at all with 10.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried unplugging all your extra devices and just troubleshooting one problem at a time?
    That way you can narrow it down to what's causing your problems.
    Try unplugging some devices you don't need for your basic PC functions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    36
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried all that.

    I just reinstalled the darn thing All running smoothly now.

    Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. No doubt I'll be back for your help when I brake it again

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silpheed2K
    Follow this guide and see if everything works out
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=225660
    Nearly, not quite!

    Followed it from start to finish. The pulseaudio daemon wasn't running. Added it as suggested. Still keep getting the 'unable to connect' message (which is nicely hidden behind other windows - annoying!).

    Tried the 'configuration step' but still total silence from the speakers.
    I was trying rythmbox as an audio source.

    Any other suggestions please?


    DaveP

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Also have no sound after REPEATED attempts

    As posted under the guide for Pulseaudio, I have repeatedly attempted to get sound to work in F11 using the guide and other recommendations.
    The last attempt about 10 minutes ago... sound for first re-boot, after which PulseAudio reverts to null_output... zip for sound...
    Filed bug on Fedroa... [326 for PulseAudio related at that time]

Similar Threads

  1. Fedora 11- Sound fails, but when I run the test. it works -microsoft sound system 80
    By dericbytes in forum Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21st April 2009, 04:48 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 12:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •