Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2009, 07:25 AM
solidex Offline

DVD-rom not auto-mounting/reading discs in Fedora 10

I'm not sure when the problem started exactly, but up until today my computer would detect and mount anything I put in my DVD-rom drive. But, I noticed that it no longer even attempts to read anything I put in it. It won't even read a XP installation boot disc upon being restarted. The drive's light flashes, and I hear the drive attempting to read the disc (it makes the typical grinding and whirling noises) but nothing happens and after a few minutes the light stops flashing. It does this on any CD (data, burned, audio), and I can read the discs just find on my WinXP lappy.

The drive is detected in my BIOS, but appears to have vanished from fstab and mtab. I tried using the Mount command to manually mount it, but I get a message back saying that there is no medium detected. I unplugged the drive from the machine and plugged it back in, and still nothing.

Below are the relevant information I could pull from dmesg, which is basically anything that references my DVD drive:

ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 300)
ata2.00: ATAPI: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N, HB02, max UDMA/100
ata2.00: configured for UDMA/100
[...]
scsi 1:0:0:0: CD-ROM TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653N HB02 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 5

My question is, is this a hardware failure or did something somehow get screwed up in my installation?

Edit: My installation can still detect and automount a memory stick.
Old 17th July 2009, 01:04 PM
ryptyde Offline

Exact same problem here with F11 on a Sony desktop with DVD/RW. I pulled the drive out and put in another known to be good and same thing happens. DVD drive in a usb enclosure works fine.

The DVD drive icon in "Computer" lists the drive as "SONY DVD RW DW_Q28A" and upon inserting a data or video dvd disc the icon disappears. CD audio discs work fine.
Old 26th July 2009, 01:43 AM
solidex Offline

*bump*

Unfortunately, this is starting to be a major problem for me. I've done a fresh install of Fedora 11, and it still doesn't work.
Old 26th July 2009, 06:14 AM
sidebrnz Online

Removable media aren't normally put into fstab, and mtab is a list of what's currently mounted, so not finding your DVD drive there is not a problem. It's possible it's hardware, either the drive or the cable.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:42 PM
helden Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
DVD-rom not auto-mounting/reading discs in Fedora 10

Out of the blue I happened to run into the same problem with Fedora 10. One minute I burned a data DVD with K3b and when trying to mount same it did not work. Also manually mounting did not work. The suggestion that the cable or hardware is out of order I don't believe in, as when starting up MS Windows there is no trouble with any disk at all. Going back to Fedora 10, forget it. There is definitely something wrong with the software of Fedora 10. For the sake of argument, all updates are applied.
Is there anyone who can shed some light on this problem? Thank you very much beforehand.
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:32 PM
solidex Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The last thing I remember doing was burning a CD, but even when I did a fresh install of Fedora 11 (minus not formatting my /home partition) I can't get my drive to read anything. I don't have a windows copy to test this on, however, so I'm unsure if windows would be able to use the drive.
Old 12th September 2009, 09:29 PM
topa Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Ran into the same problem, upgraded to fedora 11 and after that it worked still for some time and then suddenly nothing anymore. It makes the normal noise but it doesn't get mounted.
All help welcome.

thx
tony
Old 12th September 2009, 10:29 PM
solidex Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I got a new drive and cables, and after putting them in I was abl to use my drive.
Old 13th September 2009, 08:33 PM
topa Offline

windows_xp_2003safari
When I run it under windows my dvd works perfect, so there is nothing wrong with the drive itself.
Old 13th September 2009, 08:53 PM
SteveGYBE Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I've had this with Fedora 11 almost from release, I raised a bug with Gnome three months ago, but it is still down as "unconfirmed".

My work-around is to use VLC to play DVDs - it allows you to access the device (e.g. /dev/sr0) directly without having to mount the DVD manually first.

Perhaps we should report it as a Fedora bug and see whether that helps move things along.

Tags
automounting or reading, discs, dvdrom, fedora