Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2009, 12:59 AM
daytooner Offline

Rebooting with a bad logical volume

I have had this problem several times.

I have several volume groups, each with its own logical volumes. But if one (or more) of those logical volumes gets corrupted, and I try to reboot, I can't, since the booter sees a bad file system and can't continue. If I log into maintenance mode, I can't do anything useful. Typically, I would just want to disable the logical volume from being mounted, which would allow the boot to continue, and I could fix the problem once the system is up. But the system is read-only, so I can't edit fstab. (BTW, I have had a disk fail on me on boot up, so I couldn't edit fstab before shutting down :-). )

The only way I have found to get around this is to boot up in rescue mode, and comment out the offending mounts from fstab.

I realize that if the primary volume group/logical volume(s) are corrupt, then continuing would be useless. But In my case, it wasn't.

I was just wondering if there is a way to have the booter prompt me to continue or not, rather than just drop to a (somewhat) useless maintenance mode.

Okay, this is a bit of a gripe, but I have been burned by this many times, and am a little frustrated :-(.

ken
Old 14th July 2009, 03:28 AM
SlowJet Offline

The corruption is on the ext file system.
When this happens the file systems must be fixed.

Fedora does not have a real recovery system, the rescue mode is only to get the current system booted or to allow looking around. As you have noticed, the root is not unmounted but put into ro.
If you drop into the shell, it can't be umount'd, edited, or fscked.

A real recovery system,
in this case for using LVM,
use SystemRescue LiveCD - the lastest .2 version has F11 LVM tool set.

Show some details of your f/s and LVM to get moe help.
D/L SystemRescueCd from distrowatch.com link. It's about 250MB.
df -l
fidisk -l
vgdisplay
lvdisplay
lvs
cat /etc/fstab
mount

SJ

Tags
bad, logical, rebooting, volume