Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th July 2009, 12:43 AM
daytooner Offline

Radeon card doesn't work with FC11 (but did with FC10)

I have been trying to upgrade a box from FC10 to FC11. I had several problems/gripes with the FC11 installer, but I will edit those at another time. This was a real drop dead problem for me.

First, I tried running the upgrade selection (instead of the full installation). Boot up seemed fine, until the gdm tried to start. Then I got garbage on the screen, and the gdm froze. I could only press the power button to shutdown. But on power up, the same thing.

So I decided to just do a full install. Everything worked fine. I could log in to Gnome, and make the typical settings changes that I do. One of those was to change the display type from the generic monitor to my mine (Viewsonic GS790). I also have a Radeon ATI Rage video card (not sure of the exact model - still looking it up). I have had no problems installing previous FC versions (9, 10) with this setup. But when I logged out to restart the gdm, I got the same problem as above - a frozen display. (I did upgrade another system that went fine - but it didn't have a Radeon card.)

I switch cards (to a non-Radeon) and voila everything works fine.

So what did they do?

ken

Last edited by daytooner; 14th July 2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 14th July 2009, 07:29 AM
CSchwangler Offline

You are not alone! You might want to search in the forum and will find numerous threads pointing out problems with ATI cards. These problems exist in many others distributions, that use new kernel and XOrg, so its not to blame on Fedora. I guess, the main problem is that AMD does not provide appropriate drivers for Linux and the existing drivers to not work properly.
Old 14th July 2009, 07:34 AM
CSchwangler Offline

You may want to monitor this thread

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503

Tags
card, fc10, fc11, radeon, work