Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th July 2009, 06:49 PM
lukea Offline

Can't install Fedora 11 directly, or upgrade from Fedora 10. Anaconda won't detect HD

This has been annoying the hell out of me for a couple of days now, it seems I am not alone with this problem, but I haven't found a solution or a workaround - yet.

When attempting to install Fedora 11 (x86_64), from the DVD, anaconda fails to detect my hard drive so can't get past the partitioning options screen. So I decided to install Fedora 10, and see if I could upgrade that to Fedora 11.

I installed Fedora 10, updated everything using yum, rebooted, checked yum for any more updates then I used the preupgrade program. It downloaded all the packages, and rebooted into anaconda. As soon as anaconda loaded it complained it could not detect Fedora 10, because it could not detect the hard drive. This I find really hard to believe considering it is running from the ruddy hard drive!

So I tried using my Fedora 11 DVD to see if that would upgrade an existing install. It didn't even give me the option of upgrading, and seemed to try to do a fresh install, where it failed to detect the hard drive again.

From what I can understand this is because anaconda doesn't have the drivers for my hard drive controller, nVidia nForce 3 which I think uses "sata_nv".

Is it possible to upgrade from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 without using Anaconda?

My setup isn't anything extravagant. I am trying to install this on a PC I built about 6 years ago, its a Shuttle SN95G5 (v2) with a WD SATA Raptor (74GB), which uses the default partitioning options offered in the Fedora 10 installation. It has an AMD Athlon64 3200+ processor with 2GB of ram, so it will be a very capable machine until it simply stops working due to old age. Besides, I can't afford a new one and I will be buggered if I am buying another just to install Fedora 11.

Any suggestions other than buying a new computer or switching to ubuntu?
Old 6th July 2009, 12:42 AM
tdell Offline

I had the same problem but different hardware, after three weeks of stuggle what finally worked for me was adding the following boot options
acpi=off pci=nomsi

finally installed.

Tdell
Old 6th July 2009, 07:18 AM
lukea Offline

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give that a go and let you know how I got on. I already have to add "xdriver=vesa nomodeset" to even get anaconda to boot for my graphics card. (ATI Radeon 9800)
Old 6th July 2009, 07:57 AM
lukea Offline

That didn't work, it took absolutely forever to get past the hardware initializing message, then loaded the text based installer where it crashed. I rebooted to try again, but still dead on the language selection screen.

So I just tried it just with "pci=nomsi", and it booted the graphical installer, but it still couldn't detect the hard drive.
Old 6th July 2009, 08:27 AM
lukea Offline

Also tried the following in various combinations of the following options...

pci=nomsi,nommconf

libata.dma=1
libata.dma=0

pnpacpi=off

But nothing is working.

Tags
anaconda, detect, directly, fedora, install, upgrade