Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th June 2009, 06:08 PM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

Question New laptop: some problems with F11 (mainly sound).

Hello everybody.

I am posting from my brand new Acer Aspire 5536 laptop whose specs are:
AMD Athlon X2 QL64 (2.1GHz), 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300, 250GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon HD 3200 (256MB), DVD-RW, and NO Windows , Linpus instead (mostly useless because it just gave a "root#" prompt).

I have some questions and a sound related problem in Fedora 11 x86_64.

The problem is that it does not seem to notice when I plug headphones and sound is not heard on them, nor the laptop's speakers mute. I somehow remember something about modprobe.conf, and last night spent 2 hours trying to do that, but it didn't work. Can anyone please shed some light in this audio issue?

The machine also has a 5 in 1 card reader, which allegedly Memory Sticks, SD cards, MMC, and xD cards, but, as you well know, some of these formats are proprietary and hence are not supported by Fedora 11 (it can only read SD's now). I remember my Acer Aspire One could read all these formats when it had Linpus Linux running on it (but forgot that ability after upgrading to F10), so obviously Linpus has the drivers for the card reader to FULLY WORK (in binary format perhaps, but it does not matter as long as one can reach them). Where can I look for those drivers in the Linpus installation? I am thinking it is a matter of copying some files from Linpus to Fedora, isn't that so? Or is that ability kernel-related?

Something else I'd like to do is to make Fedora 11 show its fancy startup logo during boot time (I can only see the 'ugly' bottom bar). Which kernel parameter shows the fancy boot theme?

And last but not least: palipmsest keeps saying the HDD is failing and that it has 3 bad sectors. I've read before about palimpsest false positives but, consider the following: yesterday after several hours or use (8 perhaps) Fedora 11 started to behave in a strange fashion: it just wouldn't multitask properly! For example I had some processes running (copying data from a external drive, yum working) and if I launched something extra (like Firefox or OpenOffice, it would take about ten seconds for them to load. At some point it seemed slower than the machine that is going to be replaced (Turion 64 X2 TL50 @ 1.6GHz) something that just does not make sense!

Can I attribute all this lagging to a 'failing HDD'? Or perhaps I should provide the machine with better ventilation? I am particularly interested in this question because I can go and get a HDD replacement since the machine is in warranty.

The curious thing is that right now, in my office, the machine is behaving quite nice: fast and reliable, the way it is supposed to be!

Other than that the machine performs terrific (right now it is doing so). Everything works (web cam included) and the graphics, even though without fglrx, are fast and smooth. Sadly Desktop Effects are not supported at this point (apparently the radeonhd driver has not got that far yet).

Thanks.
Joe.

Tags
f11, laptop, problems, sound