Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Old 26th June 2009, 12:56 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

Fedora Sucks!

According to this guy again.

Man, this guy is really getting on my nerves
I like how he claims he has all the solutions to Desktop Linux.

Don't know if there is a thread on these articles yet but here they go.

http://lunduke.com/?p=699

http://lunduke.com/?p=705

I wish he would stop acting like an elitist 15 year old.
Old 26th June 2009, 01:00 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Heh, I'm moving this one into Fedora focus too (rather than Linux chat which is for all other distros.)

I say too because I just moved another thread--most of these should go in a special category---things that make you go ARGHHH.

I might see if I can get the rest of the staff to go for it, but I doubt it.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 26th June 2009, 01:06 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

Thanks.
Yes. Actually the title sounds fine. ARGHHHH!!!

Edit: You know, I'm a HUG3 L1nux n00b, but Fedora 11 has been treating me exceptionally well. I really do like it. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones with all the right hardware.

Last edited by JohnnyLinux; 26th June 2009 at 01:08 AM. Reason: forgots stuff
Old 26th June 2009, 01:10 AM
Demz

i wouldnt have put it here but that my opinion. but i tend not to read Fedora sucks links or whatever else distro sucks, the way i see it,, that user probably did not know what he was doing anyway
Old 26th June 2009, 01:11 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I should add, don't let it get on your nerves. I think that the pattern happens after every new release. Fedora is what it is, and does break backwards compatibility. Sometimes, this is really not a bad decision--some things need complete rewrites.

MS of course, can get away with it, and Apple lovers will take whatever they get.
Although there was interesting piece recently about how Apple grows in popularity, so they better start paying attention because Joe user isn't going to just accept it the way the turtle necked wearing folks in SoHo will. (Living in NYC, I found that line hysterically funny because of its accuracy--SoHO is South of Houston Street, a very artsy area.

Anyway, they ALL break compatibility. If Fedora does, I shrug. If Ubuntu, which has, as its number one bug that MS is more popular does, that's a different issue--and believe me, they have. I remember a couple of releases--Feisty and Gutsy I think--that wouldn't work with the then still quite common Matrox G200 and G400 cards.

The whole NVidia, ATI, Intel thing is a pretty valid point--just about everything sold has one of the three. This is where the whole free software thing runs into problems--it shouldn't be such a song and dance to get them working, though even if there are millions of Linux users, you can't really get a boycott going because there's nothing else at present.

So, don't let him tick you off. Look at his posts, nod in agreement or shake your head in disgust.

Personally though, I wish that Linux in general would stop worrying about the gee whiz stuff and put their efforts into supporting more hardware, such as the common Fake RAID cards, more wireless, etc. It's improved a lot--and again, there is the problem, especially if you make an effort to avoid binary blobs, that is, some closed source package from the manufacturer, but to me, that's a heck of a lot more important than a spinning cube.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 26th June 2009, 01:20 AM
beaker_ Offline

Ah you take it too seriously. I read defeat on his pages and I think its good when people can admit their own limitations.

Late edit: sorry I should have wrote, too personally.

Last edited by beaker_; 26th June 2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 26th June 2009, 01:24 AM
craftyminion Offline

The blog referred to by the OP is run by the same charming fellow behind the odious Linsux forums, is it not?

The Crafty One
Old 26th June 2009, 01:25 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker_ View Post
Ah you take it too seriously. I read defeat on his pages and I think its good when people can admit their own limitations.
Lol. Good point
Old 26th June 2009, 02:16 AM
JohnVV Offline

Quote:
I might see if I can get the rest of the staff to go for it, but I doubt it
i would go for it but i am not staff .

well the same link was posted on LQ
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...usage.-735454/

BUT WAIT this IS fedora we are talking about RIGHT . and it is "push it and push it until it breaks , then fix it" . I EXPECT to have to do a bit of "fixing" before / during/or after" installing it .
Some of you might remember what "ford" stood for " Fix Or Repair Dally ".
That is also WHY i tell NEW users NOT to use fedora UNLESS THEY DO WANT TO LEARN HOW TO FIX IT .

but fedora 11 has had about the same # of problems as other releases . One minor/maybe major issue with sound.

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 26th June 2009, 02:21 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyminion View Post
The blog referred to by the OP is run by the same charming fellow behind the odious Linsux forums, is it not?

The Crafty One
what do u mean?
Old 26th June 2009, 02:25 AM
craftyminion Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmywear View Post
what do u mean?
I mean precisely what I wrote. I'm wondering if the chap who writes the blog you linked to in your original post is the same chap who runs the Linsux forums.

The Crafty One
Old 26th June 2009, 02:35 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

Well, my apologies, but I didn't understand your question at first.

I don't think so because one of the threads directs you to the another blog citing being "partners" with the LInux haters blog. And I know the LUNDUKE guy dislikes the people on the latter blog. He even had a little "debate" with the mod.

http://lunduke.com/?p=537
Old 26th June 2009, 03:59 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
(moved to Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream)

This and some other threads really needed a special place, so I've modified one of the sub-Forums to handle them and dropped this one there. Enjoy!
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.