Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th June 2009, 02:07 PM
sebmasta Offline

Fedora 9 Uninstalling

Hi! It's my first post, hello everybody.

I have a big problem.
I had a Fedora9 and MS Vista on my laptop. Then I've decided to uninstall Fedora, because i wanted to install Fedora11 instead. So I was doing like is written here, in contest: My system is a dual-boot with Windows XP and Linux, and I want to remove Linux and keep Windows.
... but until 14 point. I ain't have a Windows installation disc, because my laptop was bought in other country, and i obtained it without this disc.
After turning on of computer it shows:
Code:
GNU GRUB vesrion 0,97 (638K lower / 3135296K upper memory)
[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the pssible completions of a device/filename.]
What can i do now?

thanks in advance

sebmasta
Old 25th June 2009, 02:20 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

You need to re-install the Vista boot loader. This is done with the Vista install CD / DVD. Maybe you could get a disk from a friend.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 25th June 2009, 02:37 PM
sebmasta Offline

Thanks.
I have now a instalation cd to vista, but i don't know how to do it. I have to to it by option of recovery? What happend if I install vista again now?
Old 25th June 2009, 02:42 PM
glennzo Offline
Un-Retired Administrator

You should be able to use the recovery console to re-install the master boot record.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 27th June 2009, 08:26 PM
sebmasta Offline

I overcome this problem by using a Vista Instalation CD, and typing a commend fixmbr in recovery console, so in the way you said.
Thaks for help, now i can start a journey with f11.

But I have just two more things i still think about.
1. How can i delete this GRUB if for example i don't want fedora any more? And this GRUB will be needed to f11?
2. After uninstalling f9 i have partition C, partition of Recovery HP (it's notebook), and 13GB free space. Did f11 make itself a partiton? And could i in f11 join this free space to one of partitons?

Tags
fedora, uninstalling