Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 22nd December 2009, 04:13 PM
Dandapani Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
F12 works pretty well with minimum fuss.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=235226
Old 24th December 2009, 02:52 PM
Coxeroni Offline

linuxsafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandapani View Post
F12 works pretty well with minimum fuss.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=235226
I also experienced this, well done Fedora people

Still there is one thing that disappointed me a bit:

the power consumption/battery lifetime. First of all it seems, as my battery lifetime is not always shown correctly, this was partly solved when I emptied it as far as I could. But it seems as it gets screwed up again, when I charge it when it was not empty. Do you experience the same problem?

How much Power does your Eee consume? According to powertop, idling at lowest brightness takes about 8,0W, which is a good value I would say. When I watch a movie at lowest brightness it is about 10 to 11 W, which empties the small thing too quick for me.

Do I new some additional "tweaking" or installing of some services or is the CPU and its scaling/sleeping fully supported in F12? What about that acpid that eee-control needs?

Help is appreciated.
Old 24th December 2009, 03:39 PM
Dandapani Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxeroni View Post
How much Power does your Eee consume? According to powertop, idling at lowest brightness takes about 8,0W, which is a good value I would say. When I watch a movie at lowest brightness it is about 10 to 11 W, which empties the small thing too quick for me.

Do I new some additional "tweaking" or installing of some services or is the CPU and its scaling/sleeping fully supported in F12? What about that acpid that eee-control needs?

Help is appreciated.
I installed powertop and have it running on fully charged battery. At full idle it says: 9.4W (6.6 hours).

I then did the trick it suggested about dirty_writeback_centisecs and it changed slightly to 9.6W (6.4 hours)... after a time, it dropped back to 9.4W.

I watched a Youtube video and it jumped to 13.1W (4.6 hours).

I don't run on battery for long periods of time so this isn't a concern for me.

However, I did have to buy a new battery after only 7 months!!! It wouldn't charge 100%. It started to drift down until a full charge was only 67%. New battery fixed it. Asus wouldn't warranty the battery beyond 6 months.
Old 24th December 2009, 04:24 PM
Coxeroni Offline

linuxsafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandapani View Post
I installed powertop and have it running on fully charged battery. At full idle it says: 9.4W (6.6 hours).

I then did the trick it suggested about dirty_writeback_centisecs and it changed slightly to 9.6W (6.4 hours)... after a time, it dropped back to 9.4W.

I watched a Youtube video and it jumped to 13.1W (4.6 hours).

I don't run on battery for long periods of time so this isn't a concern for me.

However, I did have to buy a new battery after only 7 months!!! It wouldn't charge 100%. It started to drift down until a full charge was only 67%. New battery fixed it. Asus wouldn't warranty the battery beyond 6 months.
I see. So the problem for me is

a) a wrong battery info given by Fedora and additionally
b) a screwed up battery due to too many charging cycles.

I often just kept the battery in when I was working on AC, my bad. How much is that new battery?
Old 24th December 2009, 09:35 PM
Dandapani Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxeroni View Post
I see. So the problem for me is

a) a wrong battery info given by Fedora and additionally
b) a screwed up battery due to too many charging cycles.

I often just kept the battery in when I was working on AC, my bad. How much is that new battery?
Best battery usage practices tend to be mythotic. Apple guys run charger all the time with battery in (ya, it's built in!), and only go battery when needed. They claim long battery life than those who deep discharge over and over.

I bought a generic replacement from an Amazon.com reseller. Was in the neighborhood of $60.

Tags
eee, fedora