Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:11 PM
sixfootmidget Offline

2 minor glitches

Hi all, I am new to Linux but wish I made the switch years ago. I recently installed Fedora 11 and have managed to get everything working without too much hassle. As far as I can tell there are only 2 somewhat minor glitches that I haven't been able to correct

Glitch 1:. My internal mic (nor the ext. mic jack) will not work.

Glitch 2: My webcam works fine with cheese and other programs, but when I post it to a certain flash site that I frequent it is very pixelated. Before the Linux switch my cam was clear as a bell on the same website. I have obviously downloaded the adobe plugin for Firefox, but it is still pixelated.

I have an Acer Aspire 5315, the cam is Crystal Eye. The advanced volume control is HDA Intel (ALSA mixer).

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great.
Old 23rd June 2009, 04:54 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

For the mic, open System ->Preferences -> Advanced Volume Control. Select preferences and scroll down until you see Digital Input Source, check that, a new entry should appear under Options tab, select Digital Mic 1 for Digital Input Source. To test, run Applications -> Sound & Video -> Sound Recorder, and record yourself, the record level should start operating once the mic is enabled.

For the webcam have you tried reducing the resolution in Cheese preferences to 640x480?
Old 24th June 2009, 09:41 PM
sixfootmidget Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
For the mic, open System ->Preferences -> Advanced Volume Control. Select preferences and scroll down until you see Digital Input Source, check that, a new entry should appear under Options tab, select Digital Mic 1 for Digital Input Source. To test, run Applications -> Sound & Video -> Sound Recorder, and record yourself, the record level should start operating once the mic is enabled.

For the webcam have you tried reducing the resolution in Cheese preferences to 640x480?
I got the mic to work, kind of. It will record my voice now but the output is nothing but a bunch of beeps and other various sounds.

I haven't tried reducing the res. on my webcam but I will try it. Like I said before the cam works great except for when I post it to a flaash website that I visit a lot.
Old 24th June 2009, 11:02 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

You might need to enable some other sliders in the advanced volume control, eg Capture, Capture 1, Digital, Mux and Mux 1 under the recording tab. It can be a black-art working out which slider/switch controls the mic volume. You may need to stop and start recording several times in Sound Recorder while you adjust the settings.

In F11, you must right-click on the Gnome Volume Control applet and select Prefereneces, then under the input tab adjust the volume there too.When you get it right, the level meters in Sound Recorder should respond in time to your voice during a record session.
Old 25th June 2009, 07:47 AM
sixfootmidget Offline

Thanks I finally got the mic to register sound. I havent tested it on the website yet but it wont matter in a few days anyway.

Also I was going to adjust the res. in cheese but the option isnt available.

I thinks its a "flash" problem anyway.
Old 25th June 2009, 12:03 PM
sideways Offline
Retired User

Don't you have a choice of resolutions under Cheese preferences?

The only reason I suggested looking there is because my webcam defaults to 1600x1200 which is far too high and results in Cheese being slow and jerky, if I change to 640x480 it fixes the problem. But it may not be the cause of the pixellation, perhaps it's an encoding issue in cheese. ( I have issues with recording in both cheese and ucview (the latter is aimed more at video, cheese at still photos))
Old 25th June 2009, 08:01 PM
sixfootmidget Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideways View Post
Don't you have a choice of resolutions under Cheese preferences?

The only reason I suggested looking there is because my webcam defaults to 1600x1200 which is far too high and results in Cheese being slow and jerky, if I change to 640x480 it fixes the problem. But it may not be the cause of the pixellation, perhaps it's an encoding issue in cheese. ( I have issues with recording in both cheese and ucview (the latter is aimed more at video, cheese at still photos))
All I see under Cheese preferences is the name of my cam. The resolution box is directly underneath it but is not a clickable option. Also I may have forgot to mention this, but my cam works fine with Cheese, crystal clear picture and no clipping (slow and jerky). The problem is when I post my cam to a flash website (chat website with cam functions) it is more pixelated than it used to be. Before the Linux switch my cam was clear when I posted it to be viewed by others.

I am thinking it might actually be a "flash" problem. I have posted a similar query at another linux forum and one of the members suggested I download Adobe for linux. I had already done that since the website I am talking about is flash based and I needed adobe before I could use the site at all.

Tags
glitches, minor