Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th June 2009, 07:51 PM
DachaArh Offline

Fedora 11 Installation problem

I have downloaded fedora 11 live and burned it on cd, I booted and started installing it.

But i have one problem, when I come to the part of partitioning I go to custom layout, and I have 2 windows partitions, one ext3 35gb ( which is curently used by ubuntu), one .ext3 90gb partition ( which is and will be used as home) and swap.

Now, I want to format ext3 35g in ext3 or ext4 and use it as system (/) and to use home as /home, but I have a problem here, when I select ext3 35gb to be / partition, and to be formated as ext4 I get this error Bootable partitions cannot be on an ext4 filesystem., and when I try to format it in ext3 filesystem I get his error : Your / partition does not match the the live image you are installing from. It must be formatted as ext4. , so I cannot continue with installation, is there any solution ?
Old 20th June 2009, 09:17 PM
DachaArh Offline

and noone can help ?
Old 20th June 2009, 09:55 PM
mohaas05 Offline

The livecd installer creates a copy of the live environment on your harddrive. Since the livecd only has one partition, under /, your new installation must also only be under a single partition mounted under /. In addition, it must be formatted as ext4.

If you want to customize the target filesystem, use the DVD installer.
Old 20th June 2009, 10:04 PM
DachaArh Offline

I didnot understand you, is there no way to install it with livecd ?
I need one partition as / one home and swap.....
Old 20th June 2009, 10:28 PM
mohaas05 Offline

No. The thing is, the LiveCD installer doesn't actually "install" in the sense that it copies packages.

It basically creates a copy of the LiveCD filesystem on your harddrive. And since the CD only contains a single partition mounted under /. The installer creates a single partition (and a swap partition I think) mounted under /.

The only way you can install with two partitions, as you want, is through the DVD installer.

perhaps someone else can explain this better...
Old 20th June 2009, 10:32 PM
DachaArh Offline

ok, thanks, downloading dvd tohight

IS dvd installer similar to live cd installer
Old 20th June 2009, 10:36 PM
mohaas05 Offline

The DVD installer doesn't boot into the full desktop. It's just the installer, so its faster.

You'll be able to do what you originally wanted to do (Use one partition as / and another as /home).

There are also a lot more packages too.

Tags
fedora, installation, problem