Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th June 2009, 11:00 PM
bcomisky Offline

switching openGL -- nvidia to/from Mesa

I'm running Fedora 11 (upgraded from Fedora 10) with an Nvidia card. The nvidia drivers installed seem to work fine, as does glxgears, glxinfo, etc. I have an application that I suspect has a problem with the nvidia openGL that I would like to test with Mesa. Is there anyway to switch between openGL implementations? I know the nvidia install overwrites some of the Mesa libs.. maybe I have to uninstall the nvidia drivers completely then re-install mesa?

Gentoo had a very convenient method of doing this "eselect opengl".. anybody know of anything similar for Fedora or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

$ yum list installed *nvidia*
Loaded plugins: dellsysidplugin2, refresh-packagekit
Installed Packages
kmod-nvidia.x86_64 185.18.14-1.fc11 @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
kmod-nvidia-2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64.x86_64 185.18.14-1.fc11 installed
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia.x86_64 185.18.14-2.fc11 @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-devel.x86_64 185.18.14-2.fc11 @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64 185.18.14-2.fc11 @rpmfusion-nonfree-updates
Old 18th June 2009, 11:10 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

I know of no such utility to manipulate rendering method/driver. And with the RPMFusion nvidia driver RPMs: the Mesa libraries are not over-written, nor moved, simply over-ridden in the config. You can probably do this manually, but....

First: open livna-config-display from the menus, and un-check the box that allows it to edit xorg.conf file. Then open (as root user) and edit xorg.conf to specify either driver "nv" or "nouveau" instead of "nvidia". Re-start of X11 required. However, neither of the open-source drivers has (working) 3D/DRI support for any NVidia chipsets (yet). Nouveau may soon. And the presense of the nvidia RPMs/libs and such may still interfere with the open-source drivers.

Probably more productive to open the nvidia display settings utility and play with the settings.

V
Old 19th June 2009, 02:46 AM
JohnVV Offline

the only way i know of too switch between the to is to reinstall things over/ on top of others
installing the nvidia.run driver overwrites fedoras mesa install
then reinstalling mesa overwrites nvidia's opengl

i do something like this whenever i reinstall my driver ( see sig)
i install the .run then run " yum reinstall mesa* " ( that reinstalls mesa-libGl,mesa-libGl-devel ,mesa-libGLU ,mesa-libGLU-devel , mesa-libGLw , mesa-libGLw-devel )

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 20th June 2009, 12:55 AM
av_lin Offline

I had an application that wasn't properly working with the default nvidia driver. Installing the actually nvidia driver from rpmfusion fixed the problem (opengl related probably), but that had a couple of undesirable side effects.

The display menu has become inactive and so I lost the ability to set the screen to rotate mode. That's not a big loss, since today's most screen have such poor viewing angles that it makes no sense to use a 22" widescreen in vertical mode (why does DELL bother?)

The second side effect seems to be that fonts look a little different now, regardless of how much I play with the settings. I think the dots per inch has change to 89, but I am not sure from what previous value.
Old 20th June 2009, 09:48 AM
JohnVV Offline

av_lin by chance did you install the nvidia.run first THEN installed the kmod-nvidia .Without UNINSTALLING the .run FIRST

the names and locations for the libGL's are different in the two drivers .That may be your problem .You have TWO different libGL's installed

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 22nd June 2009, 05:53 PM
av_lin Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVV View Post
av_lin by chance did you install the nvidia.run first THEN installed the kmod-nvidia .Without UNINSTALLING the .run FIRST

the names and locations for the libGL's are different in the two drivers .That may be your problem .You have TWO different libGL's installed
My problem with an app not working or with the fonts looking a little different?

I let anaconda do the install, so it picked whatever it deemed appropriate. It is only days after that I realized one remotely running application using the glut_free library wasn't able to open a graphical window on my machine. I just followed Mauriat Miranda's install guide for the nvidia driver using the rpmfusion.org repository. Doing a locate nvidia, I can see that many libraries have now two versions. The newly installed one seems to have the suffix 185.18.14 added to the original default names. I whatever driver you pick, it automatically uses the correct libraries, but you are saying my assumption may be wrong?

I guess I can always play with the xorg.conf files to experiment a little.

Tags
mesa, nvidia, opengl