Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th June 2009, 01:22 AM
flippedremark Offline

MacBook Pro 5,3 no sound in F11

Update! It appears that there just needed to be new modules written for alsa for the new hardware. over at http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=42 the solution has been posted. It works for the new 13" and 15" macbook pro's. I would guess it works for the 17", but I haven't heard of anyone doing it.

To summarize, you need to download ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...napshot.tar.gz, extract the file, then change to its directory.
then run
Code:
$ ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors  --without-oss --with-cards="hda-intel"
$ make
$ su -c "make install"
After that, restart, and unmute the volume however you like. I went to the advanced volume control under system>preferences (because I know little about Pulse) and unmuted the "front speaker."
I found no need to delete the old alsa modules as the linked guide says.
The only hitch is that the internal speakers don't mute when headphones are connected.

Old message:

I have one of the newest 15" MacBook Pro's, and I can't get sound to work. The speakers and the headphone jack make no noise. After installing pavucontrol, I was able to get noise in pidgin and mplayer through bluetooth, though not flash in firefox.

Lspci shows my sound card as: Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1).

I've tried adding "options snd_hda_intel model=mbp3" and "model=3stack" to a sound.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d

edit: apparently its a problem with other new MacBook Pro's. Watching this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1188849

Last edited by flippedremark; 8th July 2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 23rd June 2009, 08:44 AM
axishift Offline

What did dmesg|grep snd shows?
Old 23rd June 2009, 06:07 PM
flippedremark Offline

Nothing. There is no output for that command.
Old 24th June 2009, 01:10 AM
axishift Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedremark View Post
Nothing. There is no output for that command.
Here's mine...

[axishift@sandbox ~]$ dmesg |grep snd
snd-aoa-fabric-layout: found bus with layout 36
snd-aoa-fabric-layout: Using PMF GPIOs
snd-aoa-codec-tas: found 'deq' node
snd-aoa-fabric-layout: can use this codec
snd-aoa-codec-tas: tas found, addr 0x35 on /ht@0,f2000000/pci@3/mac-io@7/i2c@18000/deq@6a
[axishift@sandbox ~]$

Although, sounds is still not working.

Tags
f11, macbook, pro, sound