Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th June 2009, 08:08 PM
beighes Offline

Location: Near Intel, Apple, AMD, Google, & the rest of the Corporate HQ's ......yuk!
Message while running preupgrade.......

Greetings to all.........
And my thanks to those that have answered my previous questions (answers found via searching the forums). Here is my question / issue. I was about to "preupgrade" (as I have, previously, used successfully) to F11 . While in terminal, I go to run preupgrade & I see the following:

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py:181: UserWarning: Use .preconf instead of passing args to _getConfig
warnings.warn('Use .preconf instead of passing args to _getConfig')
Loaded plugins: blacklist, refresh-packagekit, whiteout

Being a true coward that wishes to live a long, quiet & uneventful life, I stopped here. Before I commit, could someone, please, explain what this information means, or if it is significant. I may live in Silicone Valley, but I am not a "techie" (no offense intended to anyone). I have used Fedora since Fedora 5 or6, can't remember. Learning as I went, but I still don't know much.

My electronic abacus has: Intel 865GBF motherboard, 2.0G of memory, P4 / 2.4Ghz processor, the on board Intel graphics, 73 GB available on HDD. Currently using Fedora 10.

Any info would be appreciated.....whether positive or negative.
cheers !
Steve
aka, "The guy that can draw a mouse with a pencil, but can't draw a pencil with a mouse!"
Old 26th June 2009, 09:21 PM
Pluribootent Offline

I have the same Problem. Wanted to Upgrade from 10 to 11 a week ago and didnt get that error message but decided to do it next week. now it doesnt work.

thx
Old 26th June 2009, 10:16 PM
BostonWatcher Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluribootent View Post
I have the same Problem. Wanted to Upgrade from 10 to 11 a week ago and didnt get that error message but decided to do it next week. now it doesnt work.

thx
What part doesn't work. preupgrade itself does not run?
Old 26th June 2009, 10:35 PM
tim273 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonWatcher View Post
What part doesn't work. preupgrade itself does not run?
I get the same problem and yes it happens when trying to run preupgrade or preupgrade-cli
Old 26th June 2009, 10:35 PM
tim273 Offline

Here's the full trace:

/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py:181: UserWarning: Use .preconf instead of passing args to _getConfig
Loaded plugins: blacklist, fastestmirror, kmdl, priorities, whiteout
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, kmdl, priorities
Failed to fetch release info.
This could be caused by a missing network connection or a bad mirror.
Old 26th June 2009, 10:56 PM
ellson Offline

If you run "strace preupgrade-cli" it appears to be failing when looking for:
http://fedoraproject.org/releases.txt

Sure enough, there is nothing there.
Old 26th June 2009, 11:12 PM
Pluribootent Offline

Code:
# preupgrade
Geladene Plugins: blacklist, refresh-packagekit, whiteout
and the gui error:
Quote:
Failed to fetch release info.

This could be caused by a missing network connection or a bad mirror.
thx
Old 27th June 2009, 12:03 AM
beighes Offline

Location: Near Intel, Apple, AMD, Google, & the rest of the Corporate HQ's ......yuk!
Greetings,
I found some bravery, didn't worry about the message & went ahead with the upgrade. Aside from a small flash video issue (fixed via searching the forum), all is well. Cheers!
Old 27th June 2009, 02:00 AM
Pluribootent Offline

what do you mean went ahead? I cant go ahead because I can only do "retry" which has no effect or "exit".
Old 27th June 2009, 10:24 PM
vomlehn Offline

Two preupgrade issues

I think there are two preupgrade issues. The first is the "UserWarning: Use .preconf instead of passing args to _getConfig" message. I think that, as it says, this is a warning and when beighes ignored it, everything went well.

However, for some of us, there is at least one real error. In my case, I got a pop-up asking whether I wanted to upgrade to F11. I though, well, this should be fun, and accepted. It downloaded all of the packages and rebooted. Up to that point, all was as I would expect. After the reboot, I expected to get some sort of install dialog. Not only did I not get one, but I seem to still be on F10. At least, everything looks exactly the same and my /etc/fedora-release says that I'm on F10.

When *I* run strace, I see lots of reads getting a return value of EAGAIN on a file descriptor that appears to be from a connect() to an AF_FILE socket for "/tmp/.X11-unix/X0". I suspect that this is actually a different problem than the failure to access "http://fedoraproject.org/releases.txt" that ellson mentions.

I tweak my system in various ways, but in ways that should be pretty benign. I did enable some additional repos, but I don't think I added anything that wasn't already there and I sure didn't intend to disable anything.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:58 AM
Pluribootent Offline

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=508439

solved
Old 28th June 2009, 07:20 PM
beighes Offline

Greetings,
As vomlehn wrote, I just ignored the message & pushed on. Only after saving anything important. That way, should there be a disaster, I could always do a clean installation if required. Cheers!....Steve
Old 7th January 2010, 05:29 PM
jeffmacdonald7 Offline

linuxfirefox
this can be cause by your proxy blocking python preupgrade script, and keeping it from getting to http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/releases.txt. If you have a proxy

# export http_proxy="http://yourproxy:8080"
# preupgrade

Tags
message, preupgrade, running