Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora and it's software that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 14th June 2009, 07:18 PM
someguy456 Offline

How to create separate boot partition on already installed system?

Ok, so I've upgraded my F10 install to F11 using the upgrade DVD, and things are going well. However, one thing I'm still missing is the new ext4 filesystem. However, from what I've read, I can't just convert my root partition because grub won't support booting ext4 partitions yet.

How do I go about creating a new boot partition from a single-partition filesystem?

Right now I have a windows partition, a main root (/) partition, and a swap partition. I've worked with parted before, so creating the actual partition from extra windows free space shouldn't be a problem. I'm more concerned/confused on how to configure/update grub and the rest of my system to use the new partition

Any pointers?

Thanks
Old 14th June 2009, 07:29 PM
SlowJet Offline

It would be best to install new and use 4 partitions via the custom partition dropdown box.
1 a regular ext3 320mb /boot
2.an extended partition for the rest of the disk.(you may already have an extended partition. but you can delete it and create it in the correct place if the windows partition allows.)
3 a logical partition on the extended partition for
a. /root as ext4 8 to 16GB
b. /home ext4 nnGB
c. swap as swap 2GB

This will allow easy upgrades or re-installs keeping home in tact in the future.

SJ

Tags
boot, create, installed, partition, separate