Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2009, 02:13 PM
petegnj Offline

FYI - F11 works PERFECTLY on IBM T30

Title says it all. Works fast and flawlessly. Keypad tap doesn't work by default but can be set to in Gnome. I've tried openSUSE 11.0, 11.1, Mint 6, 7 and Arch and F11 works the best on this architecture.

Last edited by petegnj; 12th June 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12th June 2009, 03:21 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

The keypad by default is an xorg decision, I believe. As you mention, easily fixed. (Apparently, most people used to, at least, look for how to DISable it.)

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 14th June 2009, 08:22 AM
Robert2 Offline

Are you sure

Did you try external monitors, undocking, hotswapping ultrabay?
Does WiFi still work after suspend?

External monitors are currently completely broken with ATI chipsets (which you have).
Undocking and ultrabay hotswap are basically not handled at all as there are no udev handler scripts. For ultrabay you can find some udev scripts on thinkwiki.org

Regarding WiFi, I am having problems with Atheros WiFi on newer machines, especially after a suspend you have a high chance that the atheros chip will hang and require a cold reboot to get working again.
Old 14th June 2009, 03:16 PM
petegnj Offline

Wifi works after suspend ( I am using an Atheros Mini card). Once I lift the lid it does it's little animation and quickly grabs the connection back. I didn't try an external monitor until you just posted about it and it works with my Acer AL1916W. The dock for it is at work so I can try that tomorrow when I get to the office.
Old 14th June 2009, 07:45 PM
Robert2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegnj View Post
Wifi works after suspend ( I am using an Atheros Mini card). Once I lift the lid it does it's little animation and quickly grabs the connection back. I didn't try an external monitor until you just posted about it and it works with my Acer AL1916W. The dock for it is at work so I can try that tomorrow when I get to the office.
Your saying external VGA monitor is working with KMS enabled? Did you try clone display or extended desktop? Did you boot with the external monitor or hotplug?

I have two ThinkPads with ATI graphics, one older then yours and one newer, and both behave similar. Basically when you activate extended desktop or clone display the ThinkPad LCD (LVDS) switches off and the external monitor goes out of range.

Do you have a Dock or Port Replicator at work? A dock is not the same as a port replicator. Port replicators are dumb devices that are just passive pass-through devices, and do not require any OS support. Docks are devices that can have PCI devices such as additional PCMCIA ports, PCI adapter card or an additional Ultrabay.

Docks for T30
* http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock
* http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock_II

Port Replicators for T30
* http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Mini-Dock
* http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Port_Replicator
* http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkP..._Replicator_II
Old 15th June 2009, 02:08 AM
mcmackin Offline

What I found with KMS is that you can span both displays, but you can't mirror unless the external display supports exactly the same resolution as your LCD.
Old 15th June 2009, 08:16 AM
Robert2 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmackin View Post
What I found with KMS is that you can span both displays, but you can't mirror unless the external display supports exactly the same resolution as your LCD.
That is correct for Intel graphics as you only get 1 video mode, and unless the external display happens to support that exact same mode you cannot activate clone display.

For ATI graphics you should be in better shape in this regard, as they fixed this issue in xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.12.2-13.
However with ATI graphics I was not able to actually activate any external display, regardless of clone or extended desktop. So even though they support more modes it still does not work

Tags
f11, fyi, ibm, perfectly, t30, works