Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th June 2009, 06:33 PM
Nemros Offline

Fedora 11 disabling KDE things & video issues

I have some small issues with KDE. It tends to impose it's applications over gnome's applications.

For example: I'm in firefox looking at the downloads and i right click and choose open containing folder and it opens it with konqueror... but well i'm in gnome...
Another example is I try to mount my windows partition (I don't know why it doesn't automatically mount as it used to in FC10) and it pops up a root authentication window but with KDE style.

I managed to remove some of these by uninstalling some of the kde components. Now i use some kde applications and I would like to have kde installed.

Does anyone know how to tell fedora to use gnome when i'm in gnome and kde when i'm in kde?

The second part is with video issues. I've had those since the installation. I had to install using vesa driver. I have a ati x1100 graphics card (or x1300 not sure, sticker fell off :P). It used to give me problems in FC10... lame problems consisting of it not booting up but with enough determination and 2-3-4-5 reboots it did ok and worked till the end.

The problem is that I run vesa drivers since ati drivers (shipped with fedora) crash right when starting GDM and I then have to reset the laptop (hardware). The vesa drivers do not run widescreen and my screen is weird (1024x768). How can I have xorg change to widescreen? I'm not interested in having hardware acceleration (fglrx) or something similar. I've given up that dream a long time ago.

So, can anyone help me with these issues?
Old 13th June 2009, 04:17 PM
rdieter Offline
Community Manager

kde doesn't purposely impose anything as you describe.

Had you logged into a kde session (recently) and then used gnome?
Old 13th June 2009, 06:09 PM
Nemros Offline

No. I did a clean F11 install and checked KDE in anaconda. I don't use KDE at all. I only need it for kdewebdev and some small kde apps but I install KDE each time anyway.

I always login into gnome (as default) and that's why I'm asking. I did nothing to cause KDE apps to run instead of the gnome ones.
Old 13th June 2009, 07:27 PM
rdieter Offline
Community Manager

OK, there's a bug somewhere then, but it's (most likely) not kde causing it.
Old 13th June 2009, 07:41 PM
Nemros Offline

Thanks for the help. I think I will try to remove some more kde parts until I won't get any more kde popups.
Old 1st July 2009, 08:31 PM
adrianx Offline

I have the same problem as Nemros. Even though I did a "yum install @kde-desktop", I have created a separate user for KDE and never logged into it as my "Gnome user".

The problem is definitely not in /home - I've tried renaming .kde, creating a new profile for Firefox and fiddled with various other things in the Gnome user's /home directory.

With mozplugger, okular is used instead of evince to open .pdf files in Firefox and, as stated above, "Open Containing Folder" opens the download directory with Konqueror, not Nautilus.

system-config-services also presents me with a KDE prompt when I use it. There may be other instances too, but these are the main ones I've noticed.
Old 1st July 2009, 08:56 PM
Nemros Offline

I did manage to remove some of the KDE stuff by removing KDE components. I still have konqueror linked to firefox but I do have evince because ocular is not installed.

There are other popups from KDE still.
Old 1st July 2009, 09:37 PM
adrianx Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemros View Post
I did manage to remove some of the KDE stuff by removing KDE components. I still have konqueror linked to firefox but I do have evince because ocular is not installed.

There are other popups from KDE still.
I don't really want to remove any KDE apps, though I know that it would make this problem go away. Call me a "fence sitter", but I actually like using both DEs.

Tags
disabling, fedora, issues, kde, things, video