Top 20 Barmy Booze Laws Around The World
With news today that drunks stopped by South Wales Police are to be offered a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-style quiz as a way to avoid an on-the-spot fine, we look at other barmy booze laws from around the world.
1. Remarkably, it still remains illegal to be drunk in a pub or club in the UK.
2. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.
3. In Houston, Texas, somewhat confusingly, beer may not be purchased after midnight on Sunday, but can be purchased anytime on Monday!
4. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.
5. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.
6. In Scotland it is illegal to be drunk and in possession of a cow. (I guess being drunk and "in possession" of a sheep is okay <...
7. In Alaska it is illegal to give alcoholic beverages to a moose.
8. In Texas it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer whilst standing.
9. The entire Encyclopaedia Britannica is also banned in the Lone Star state, as it contains a formula for making beer at home.
10. In Switzerland, although it is illegal to produce, store, sell and trade absinth, it is legal to consume it.
11. In Nebraska it is illegal for bar owners to sell booze unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.
12. At Dublin’s Trinity College, students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.
13. In North Dakota beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
14. Although the French wine, "Fat Bastard," is freely available in 22 states in the US, both Texas and Ohio have banned its sale within their borders.
15. In the US the word "refreshing" is banned from use in adverts to describe any alcoholic drink.
16. In Pennsylvania, no man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
17. Anyone under the age of 21 who takes out household rubbish containing even a single empty beer bottle can be charged with illegal possession of alcohol in Missouri.
18. It is illegal to sit on any street curb in St. Louis, Missouri, and drink beer from a bucket. WTF!!!
19. In 2008 an Iranian court sentenced a 22-year-old "hardened and incorrigible drinker" to death for breaking the country's ban on drinking alcohol for the fourth time.
20. In Iowa, a husband may not take more than three gulps of beer while lying in bed with his wife, or holding her hands. It’s also illegal to start a tab at a bar.