Here's the problem and the sequence of events (we've suffered the same problem on 4 totally different machines with completely different hardware):
1) we install FC2, fresh/clean install from scratch, the installation process is fast, easy and 100% successfull.
2) we logon as root for the fist time.
3) we create a regular user account called "jimmy".
4) we log off from root as logon as jimmy.
5) we download the apt and synaptic rpm packagest from http://tettnang.freshrpms.net/
6) we open a command shell and then do this:
$ su -
# cd /tmp
# rpm -Uvh apt-xxxxx.rpm
# rpm -Uvh synaptic-xxxxx.rpm
7) after successfull install, we run synaptic and apply "all" available updates (this may easily take 1 hour on a dsl line, there are lots of updates).
8) after synaptic successfully applies all available updates, we log off.
9) log on as jimmy again: *** screen is all black, the FC2 default theme is gone, and an error shows up telling me that the default theme cannot be found. My GUI is completely messed up from that point on.
Any idea why the GUI is corrupted like this after doing a complete synaptic update?
Thank you in advance,