Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th May 2009, 07:56 PM
jwepaterson Offline

F10 Dual head issue - Radeon driver

Hi all;

I have a RV370/X550 ATI card, and can get a spanning dual head working just fine from a terminal using an xrandr command (xrandr --output VGA-0 --right-of DVI-0); what I am having problems with is getting this to be accomplished automatically on log in; I have tried setting up the xorg.conf file with a dual head set up as well as putting the xrandr command above in various scripts (bashrc, xinitrc). However, every time I do this, the normal mirror appears until the log in screen, after which, the VGA monitor looses signal and I only get a single monitor to display. I can not get the VGA monitor to come back no matter what I try, unless I remove the offending xrandr command from the script, and re-log in. At that point, I can use the xrandr command from a terminal and it works fine.

Anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions to get the spanning dual head to work automatically? It would not be a great problem, but I like to put different items on each monitor and they get squished onto one each time I start my machine.

Thanks.

James
Old 31st May 2009, 01:36 PM
dsmithhfx Offline

HI,

I was about to post my problems with the grandr applet on fc10 x86_64, RV350/9550 (using the free radeon driver), properly detecting and configuring a second display when a search turned up your post.

I haven't been able to get dual displays on my rig from a linux distro for quite some time, but discovered it *works* using the grandr applet out of the box in Jaunty (same pc and driver). Jaunty+grandr correctly identified the available resolutions of the second monitor, informed me it needed to set the virtual display (in xorg.conf) and did so. However, it did take a couple of x-server restarts and a reboot to get it running properly. Note however it will *not* boot into the desired dual monitor config, and I have to invoke it from grandr every time (which is ok, because I seldom need to run dual displays).

Feeling brave, I decided to then try it in my FC10 install, thinking it is running more or less the same, up-to-date X-server components. Unfortunately though, in fc10, grandr does not correctly detect the second display, or respond correctly to any setting I apply to it. It reset both displays to 800x600, when I want to run the left at 1280x1024 and the right at 1024x768. When I tried to fiddle with the position in grandr (left,right) it restarted x-server into a black screen on both displays.

I copied over xorg.conf from jaunty to set up the correct virtual display resolution, but (although x-server restarted ok with the 'foreign' xorg.conf), grandr isn't behaving any better.

Will I need to resort to more drastic xorg.conf ministrations in fc10 to get this working? Any reason to suppose it will work, before I waste hours on a hopeless cause?

Anyhoo, your report of cli randr commands working is at least encouraging, so perhaps I'll give that a shot first.
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:28 PM
john_c Offline

I have a spanning dual monitor setup with xrandr and radeon, although I do have this bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=480633

I used this xorg.conf to give me the setup on boot.

Code:
Section "ServerFlags"
	Option	    "AIGLX" "on"
	Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

# 1280x720 @ 60Hz,  44.58 kHz hsync

Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "DGM L-1523"
	DisplaySize  320	228
	HorizSync    28.0 - 60.0
	VertRefresh  43.0 - 60.0