Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th May 2009, 04:58 PM
kto Offline

problems with mumble

Hi guys!
I was trying to install mumble using yum, but it seems like it is not in the repos. So I donwloaded the rpm-file from here and tried to install it. Unfortunately this does not work and I get the following errors:
Code:
rpm -i mumble-1.1.6-62.1.i386.rpm 
Warnung: mumble-1.1.6-62.1.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA-Signatur: NOKEY, Schlüssel-ID 8f105688
Fehler: Fehlgeschlagende Abhängigkeiten:
	libc.so.6(GLIBC_PRIVATE) wird benötigt von mumble-1.1.6-62.1.i386
What can I do about this?

edit:
Warnung = warning
Signatur = signature
Schlüssel = key
Fehler: Fehlgeschlagende Abhängigkeiten = Error: missing dependencies (or something like that)

Last edited by kto; 11th May 2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: translations
Old 11th May 2009, 05:19 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Code:
rpm -i --nosignature mumble-1.1.6-62.1.i386.rpm
That would take care of the gpgkey/signature problem. I don't read German, but I assume

"Fehler: Fehlgeschlagende Abhängigkeiten:
libc.so.6(GLIBC_PRIVATE) wird benötigt von mumble-1.1.6-62.1.i386"

is stating that lib.so6.(GLIBC_PRIVATE) is a missing dependency. Doing a bit of Google searching led me here. There are various versions of 'legacy' glibc packages for Fedora 9 listed there. Perhaps one of those would install on your system without presenting conflicts with your existing glibc package (?).

Because of this, I suspect your rpm package of mumble is fairly 'old'.

Edit: Looking further, looks like version 1.1.6 is what is mostly offered in rpm package format, though I did spot two rpm packages for Mandriva and Mandrake that are version 1.1.7 =1&field[]=2]here. I don't know if either of those would 1) work in Fedora, or 2) get around the dependency error you have with version 1.1.6.

Several embedded "[]" in the above url path messed up the link display, but it still works.

I see that version 1.1.8 is the latest available, sourcecode available here. If you could get all the dependencies required to compile it, you could try that route.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 11th May 2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11th May 2009, 07:02 PM
kto Offline

Thanks for your help, PabloTwo
I tried to compile mumble...it didn't work so I installed a lot of stuff (see this list), but then I got some errors that don't seem to be related to missing dependencies.
I did not yet try the older glib-rpms, I don't have time for that now (need to do some homework, because I want to become a good developer ).
But I tried something else: I simply unpacked the rpm-file that I had and startet the binary. It almost worked. The only problem is, that I can't really use it, because mumble seems to be unable to use audio-stuff. Here is the related error-message:
Code:
ALSAAudio: snd_pcm_hw_params_any(pcm_handle, hw_params): Operation not permitted
ALSAAudio: snd_pcm_hw_params_any(capture_handle, hw_params): Operation not permitted
This time I translated the german stuff before posting

So...any ideas what I can do with that? Change some permissions somewhere?
Old 11th May 2009, 07:40 PM
PabloTwo Offline
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Well, it's really hard to know how or why it's failing, but certainly not surprizing. It may be due the missing dependency, or it may be that after unpacking the rpm you did not place the files in the directories relative to root "/" where they would be installed to if the package had sucessfully installed using the rpm command.

Also, the various scripts in the rpm package would not have been run, and if the package contains any shared object files ".so", then the ldconfig command must be run, as root, after the install to 'link' those libraries to the rest of the system libraries.

On the original rpm package for mumble, try this:
Code:
rpm -qp --scripts mumble-1.1.6-62.1.i386.rpm
There are four categories that could have scripts: preinstall, postinstall, preuninstall and postuninstall

If you see "postinstall program: /sbin/ldconfig", then you need to run that command, after moving the files to their normal install directories if you already haven't done that.

And after doing any or all of the above, if you still get the same permissions error, you could run the binary as root and see what color smoke comes out.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 11th May 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12th May 2009, 02:24 PM
kto Offline

I did everything you said. alsa is still not working, but I can change the settings to use OSS and that works great

Thanks for your help PabloTwo, I am very happy with this result
Old 14th May 2009, 10:19 PM
kto Offline

update (If someone is interested in this): I found a mumble 1.1.8 rpm at http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=mumble. You have to try some of the 1.1.8-x rpms, because many of them are broken. I unpacked it, moved the files to their correct location and started the binary. Works great and I can now select PulseAudio which is far better than OSS because it allows me to play et:qw or whatever and talk to somebody via mumble at the same time.

btw: Why isn't mumble in either the fedora-repository or in rpmfusion? If somebody who is in the position and has the ability to change this, please do it, I (and probably many others) would be very pleased

Last edited by kto; 14th May 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Tags
mumble, problems