Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 5th May 2009, 02:32 PM
DougWare Offline

F11Preview: Won't boot after yum update

I wiped my CentOS 5.3 install last night and went to Fedora 11 Preview. The system booted fine, and I started a yum update. The system never booted afterward. It comes up to the blue "loading" bar, makes it to about 20% and then the screen blanks except for a flashing cursor. I did change the system to start at runlevel 3 before the reboot (by changing the inittab file). I can't even seem to attempt to edit the boot options, because it goes straight from the BIOS to loading the kernel.

Any ideas? My first impression is to reinstall, disable the rawhide repo (it seemed to be enabled by default), and don't change the runlevel.

My Server's Information:
Model: SuperServer 6031 (Quad P3 700s)
RAID: 2 Dell PERC2 DI Controllers (5 73G, 10 18G SCSI 160 Drives)
RAM: 3G
NICs: 3 10/100 (usually in a bonded config)

This server is used as a file server at home and a streaming media server for my various UPNP devices in the house.
3TB Storage
1 1000Base-T Bonded NICs

Fedora 14 (Used as a Media Server)
Custom Built AMD Phenom X4
2G RAM
2TB Storage
1 1000Base-T Bonded NICs

2 Fedora 14 VPSes (Used as Web Servers)

Visit my website at http://www.dougware.net
Old 5th May 2009, 02:34 PM
Wayne

Moved to F11 Alpha/Beta Discussions...
Old 5th May 2009, 02:52 PM
leigh123linux Offline
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWare View Post
I wiped my CentOS 5.3 install last night and went to Fedora 11 Preview. The system booted fine, and I started a yum update. The system never booted afterward. It comes up to the blue "loading" bar, makes it to about 20% and then the screen blanks except for a flashing cursor. I did change the system to start at runlevel 3 before the reboot (by changing the inittab file). I can't even seem to attempt to edit the boot options, because it goes straight from the BIOS to loading the kernel.

Any ideas? My first impression is to reinstall, disable the rawhide repo (it seemed to be enabled by default), and don't change the runlevel.

My Server's Information:
Model: SuperServer 6031 (Quad P3 700s)
RAID: 2 Dell PERC2 DI Controllers (5 73G, 10 18G SCSI 160 Drives)
RAM: 3G
NICs: 3 10/100 (usually in a bonded config)

This server is used as a file server at home and a streaming media server for my various UPNP devices in the house.
Fedora 11 Preview is a snapshot of rawhide, you need the rawhide repo enabled for updates.
Old 5th May 2009, 05:54 PM
hephasteus Offline

hit esc key when it's loading and you can watch a text screen instead of a blue loading bar.
Old 5th May 2009, 06:50 PM
stefan1975 Offline
"Stefan the converted" -- forum Macintosh® Glee Club leader

Quote:
My Server's Information
you really mean to say that you replaced a server running CentOS (thumbs up) ... with a beta release of fedora ... which in full-final-released state is still unpredictable at times? Man you must really love tinkering with your server .... a lot! :-)

does selecting the fallback kernel in the grub boot (hit tab right after the bios loads) menu work?

stefan
Browser: Opera 10.10, Safari 4
Registered linux user #459910
Old 5th May 2009, 09:09 PM
DougWare Offline

I'm going to try the escape and tab keys when I get home (just over an hour from now). I'm used to hitting the down key give grub some input and halt the automatic boot timeout, esc (but not tab) could be reserved for add on card BIOSes.

I do love to tinker, and as I said this is just a media and file server. I have a 14 DLT tape library that was given to me, so I keep all my stuff backed up and secure!
3TB Storage
1 1000Base-T Bonded NICs

2G RAM
2TB Storage
1 1000Base-T Bonded NICs

Old 6th May 2009, 02:22 PM
DougWare Offline

It was hanging after attaching SCSI devices (that was the last message).

I've reinstalled Fedora 11, and excluded the kernel packages from the rawhide repo. I'll try again once it goes GA.....

Doug
3TB Storage
1 1000Base-T Bonded NICs

2G RAM
2TB Storage
1 1000Base-T Bonded NICs

Old 6th May 2009, 10:31 PM
hephasteus Offline

It's always either disk or video that kills the boot. I thought linux networking was bad until I tried to install hackintosh. Network manager works my nforce chip perfectly and apple gets totally messed up with it.
Old 6th May 2009, 10:43 PM
mcmackin Offline

Dougware,

You can boot the live CD and mount your / filesystem and edit grub.conf. You need to comment out the hiddenmenu line and increase the timeout to a value greater than 0, maybe 3 or 5. This will allow you to select a kernel at boot and apply options through grub.

You may just need to add some driver options for your SCSI controller to help the kernel deal with the tape library...

Tags
boot, f11preview, update, yum