Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2009, 09:16 AM
physwizz Offline

installing a printer

I'm new to linux.

I have a HP Officejet 6310 as a network printer

How do I find the network address of the printer so I can install it?
Old 30th April 2009, 10:45 AM
SomeDamFool Offline

If the printer is on a Linux machine with an active network connection and is set to be shared, then on the other machine go to the main menu/system/administration/printing. Choose new printer, and follow the wizard.

If the printer is on a Windows machine you have to have Samba installed and configured on the Linux machine to share it.
Mike
Old 30th April 2009, 10:56 AM
Ellen Offline

All you need to do is to start the smb daemon
/etc/init.d/smbd start
Then go to /etc/samba
pico smb.conf
and change workgroup as your windows
save and exit

/etc/init.d/smbd restart

If you are running KDE goto print manager and change the default lpngr to cups and go through the steps to find a network printer. Remember to share the printer on the windows box.

Linux Archive

Last edited by Ellen; 16th May 2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:11 AM
bbfuller Offline

Hello physwizz

Welcome to the Forum.

Another way to find out is get the printer to print a status page.

Just about all of these network printers will do that and in the information it prints should be the ip address. How to do that should be in the manual.

Some I've come across will allocate themselves a number in the range that Windows uses when not told to be anything else, which can cause problems with firewalls. The documentation should tell you how you can change that to one in the range your network uses.
Old 1st May 2009, 11:58 PM
physwizz Offline

Thanks for the replies but I should explain further.
I have just installed linux fedora 10 onto a fresh hard disk.
the machine is connected to a network switch.
the modem and the printer are also connected to the network switch.
linux can access the internet via the modem but i can't get it to print to the printer.
I have printed out the network config from the printer and I have tried to install it but linux is telling me that the printer is not ready.
Old 2nd May 2009, 12:41 AM
physwizz Offline

I actually selected "other" from the select devices screen and entered the printer url and it looked to be installed but when I try to print, I find "the network host is busy; will retry in 30 seconds" in the status.
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:04 AM
bbfuller Offline

Hello physwizz

I too have printers that work from a printserver on my network.

In my case, I have an ethernet printserver with a couple of USB printers connected to it. It sounds in your case that the ethernet printserver is built into the printer. In either case the method of adding a printer is the same.

In my case I go to the 'system-config-printer' applet. That's the same as the "Printing" option from the Administration menus.

When you choose "New" printer, specify "LPD/LPR host or printer", give it the ip address that you have found. For the "queue name" I always use "L1" for my first printer although I have seen answers specifying "P1". Just follow through the wizard after that.

Give that a try and see how it works out. I didn't have to make any changes to SELinux or my Firewall when I did this on a new F11 install yesterday and I sure the same applies to my F10 installs.

One possibility to consider if it still doesn't work - and if you haven't considered it already - is that my printers are in the same ip address range as the remainder of my network. I've seen printers by default that are set to different ranges. Somewhere in your printer configuration is probably the ability to change that if necessary.

Post back if you still have problems.

Tags
installing, printer