Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th April 2009, 10:11 AM
arnes99 Offline

Just wanted to say that I solved the thing. I reinstalled the Fedora but this time I didn't use NVIDIA drivers. My only concern wasn't some lack of high 3D power but just the resolution. On System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Screen Resolution there weren't no 1024x768 resolution. The highest was 800x600. Here's whata I did:
I updated system from System -> Administration -> System Update. I downloaded everything!
Then I donwloaded using yum from terminal 'system-config-display'.
It required some additional files so i downloaded them too. When I did all that, I restarted Fedora, and then from Terminal I typed command 'system-config-display'. You have to be root for this. Then it opened similar window like that in System Resolution one. But this had more options. In this too, the highest resolution was 800x600. But on some tabs there was info about Monitor and Graphic card. I opened info about Monitor and there it was to choose the resolution of the monitor. When I did this it asked me to restart X so I did just that. When X started it started in 120?x??? some resolution way higher than I wanted and also it showed some screen problems before it soon started. I opene System Resolution again and this time there was resolutions to choose from and I reduced from 12??x??? to 1024x768 which I wanted all the time. THERE. Everything works liek a charm now. Hope this post will help someone with the same problem like mine. I think this thread could be locked now.
Old 18th April 2009, 04:59 PM
carpetfeller Offline

To get it back to how it was:
Code:
nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
On the line that says:
driver "nvidia",
change it to:
driver "nv"
I believe this to be one of the downfalls of Fedora 10.
The file xorg.conf (the file that the X server gets all of its configuration information from) in a default installation of Fedora 10 is non-existent. Without having a properly set up xorg.conf, the nvidia driver is not able to write the whole thing either. I could be wrong about this but install Fedora 9 and you will see what I mean. If 3d acceleration is not a major concern of yours than maybe someone else can explain to you how to edit xorg.conf just to get the desired resolution with only the nv driver. I have done it but its been a long time and I have simply forgotten how.

What I would suggest is to install Mandriva 2009.0, they don't suffer from this same downfall like Fedora. It is a little different but I believe it to be slightly more intuitive.
Old 18th April 2009, 05:21 PM
arnes99 Offline

I tried changing the xorg.conf file from 'nvidia' to 'nv'. It didn't work. But it's all good for now. I HAVE 1024x768 resolution. That is all that I wanted.
Old 18th April 2009, 05:24 PM
carpetfeller Offline

I have a feeling you will want a better driver soon, the nv driver can be very inefficient with even standard desktop graphics.
Old 18th April 2009, 09:58 PM
arnes99 Offline

Hmmm... Maybe. But I don't wanna get in that kind of problem where I have to reinstall entire OS. I updated (AGAIN) my system and since my ISP doesn't give unlimited download I can't be hasty in these actions. I have read from some other post that nVIDIAs driver that I downloaded from their site is not better for Fedora than the one from using kmod akmod. It's same nVIDIA drivers but (as I have read, I don't know is it true or not) better "tuned" for Fedora. Since I have exams soon I need the OS working with what I got now but as soon as that is over I might search again for better solution but this time more carefully.
Old 24th April 2009, 05:11 PM
Magickman Offline

I tried the Nvidia install a few times, and almost gave up. then i used Autoten to download and install the driver, and it works fine. I hear Fedora 11 will have Nividia drivers by default? hope so.
Old 24th April 2009, 06:08 PM
creeping death Offline

hmm...nice little adventure you had there...i for one, never had any problems for my 7600 then 8800 then 9800 graphics card....

i always got my drivers here...
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

maybe you can try that too? and if anything goes wrong you can always easily remove by typing "yum remove" instead of yum install.

Tags
driver, drivers, nvidia, resolution, yum