Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th April 2009, 11:32 PM
jordboal Offline

Installation CDs not well downloaded?, OpenOffice not installed and ohter things bad

I will not tell about ohter distributions of Linux (some of them have gone mor or less well for me, some of them, bad), I will tell about Fedora 10, which is the one that has gone best for me; I think.
I have an AMD Athlon 1.800 (32 bits, I think), with a CD and DVD reader and a CD reader and recorder (bought 7 years ago). I downloaded the 6 installation CDs, version i386 in KDE (I thought that it was the most similar desktop to Windows, with the tasks bar at the bottom), with Bit Torrent and burned in an ISO image to CDs with Infrarecorder at medium speed; I also downloaded the same way the netinst CD, but it didn't work (like other of the istallation CDs of other Linux distributions that I tried).
The first time I installed Fedora 10 with this 6 downloaded CDs worked (in fact, it doesn't ask for the 6th CD), but it didn't install the OpenOffice, although it appeared at the menu (I have seen in another thread, but the solution is a lot of line commands, as in MS DOS) and moreover, the desktop was GNOME, not KDE, but I liked it because it has the tasks bar at the bottom (with the f of Fedora instead of the K of KDE).
The 2nd time I tried to install Fedora 10, it didn't work. I thought my CD readers didn't work, but when when I install with a CD the monster created by the bad Bill Gates (Windows XP) it works. I have installed Windows again.
Old 16th April 2009, 01:22 PM
codechris Offline

is this a joke?
Old 17th April 2009, 03:36 PM
jordboal Offline

I lost several hours (and days), and you ask me if it is a joke...
Old 18th April 2009, 05:07 PM
jordboal Offline

The solution has come at the end!

Yesterday I had problems again with the **** of Windows,downloading compressors for archives tar.gz with eMule. One of them deactivated the antivirus, the firewall and Spybot. Windows is very dangerous without these. I tried to reinstall one of them but it didn't work. So I downloaded again Fedora 10, but not with KDE desktop, but with GNOME desktop. Today,after formatting hard disk (for 3rd, 4th or 5th time), I haver installed again Fedora and it had worked the first time (it has seemed to me that it went a little faster and with more archives to install). Fedora detects and reads floppy disk and CD/DVD units, works well (well, one time it has blocked at the start menu) and it has OpenOffice installed!
So, there is an error with the Internet source for Fedora 10 KDE.
Old 18th April 2009, 05:16 PM
JohnVV Offline

So what is going on ???
something with MS windows? or what ?

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 18th April 2009, 05:32 PM
jordboal Offline

The Internet source for installation CDs of Fedora 10 in KDE is wrong. It has not OpenOffice, and perhaps has other errors.
Old 18th April 2009, 06:07 PM
JohnVV Offline

this one the live cd ??
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-kde
h??p://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Live/i686/F10-i686-Live-KDE.iso
or what mirror did you use ?
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/pub...edora/10/i386/
and you do know that kde has there own version of OO called koffice

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10
Old 18th April 2009, 06:25 PM
Loki1950 Offline

And if i remember Abiword is on the LiveCD instead of OOo as it's a bit to big for the disc if you want any thing else on it

Enjoy the Choice

Tags
bad, cds, downloaded, installation, installed, ohter, openoffice, things