Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th April 2009, 01:57 AM
Cassanova Offline

Internet only slow on Fedora

Hi! I just got high speed (10 Megabit) Cable internet in my apartment; and at first all was quite well, and the internet was Coming into my home nice and fast; loading LQ and FedoraForum VERY quickly. But now, my Two Fedora computers (one desktop wired, and one laptop wireless) load pages VERY slowly; sometimes even slower than the DSL (1.5 Megabit) I'm coming off of... The odd thing is, that my Fiancée's Vista Desktop is loading pages just fine... and super fast. I HAVE made a few minor changes, since they set me up, but I don't know why they would only be affecting my Fed
Thanks to everyone in the Fedora Forum Community! It's because of your willingness to assist even the newest users and treat them with respect and patience that keeps me coming back to Fedora Every time!
Old 13th April 2009, 01:06 AM
philo565 Offline

Slow connectivity

I had a slightly similar problem recently of limited connectivity.

Long story but it turned out that my DNS numbers had changed
and that DHCPv6 had assigned an incorrect primary DNS.

As a work-around I setup my my internet connection manually

First right click on your network icon and look at
connection information and write down all settings

Now...you can go to your network icon and opt to "edit connections"

then under IPv4 change the connection from DHCP to manual

and enter the settings from the Vista machine

all settings should be the same except for address
where you will have to enter your specific router
address...and that would be the same as it presently is

Note: before you do anything, you may want to wait for other
replies...as though this did work for me...there may very well
be someone who has a superior solution
Old 13th April 2009, 01:17 AM
Demz

did you try turning off ipv6 ?
Old 13th April 2009, 08:07 PM
Cassanova Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
did you try turning off ipv6 ?
How would I go about disabling IPv6? So far, in my experience, all I've seen is IPv4
Thanks to everyone in the Fedora Forum Community! It's because of your willingness to assist even the newest users and treat them with respect and patience that keeps me coming back to Fedora Every time!

Last edited by Cassanova; 14th April 2009 at 04:41 AM.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:03 PM
Cassanova Offline

I found instructions to turn off IPv6, but I seem to lack the correct file in the correct location.

Also, I followed some advice I got on an LQ post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie View Post
For the sake of testing possible causes, back up your /etc/resolv.conf and then replace its contents with only this:
Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
Do you see an improvement with your problem? (Those are OpenDNS's nameservers, BTW.)
and I found that my speed was back to where it was supposed to be, however, I have not yet \learned what this indicates, or what to do now. so if anyone has an idea where this is going, or what changing my resolv.conf says about my problem, please feel free to chime in.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:23 PM
marko Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
I found instructions to turn off IPv6, but I seem to lack the correct file in the correct location.
There's no need to need to find any files, just run system-config-network
and uncheck the ipv6 checkbox to turn it off

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/MrHa...config-network

the checkbox is visible there in picture 2
Old 17th April 2009, 06:16 PM
Cassanova Offline

Updade:
Thanks to marko, I've discovered that my IPv6 is already off. so now I get to figure out the next possible cause of my slow connection. The other lead that I've got, is that editing my /etc/resolv.conf file, and replacing the IPs in it (with IPs from OpenDNS), fixes it... but IDK why, and re-editing the file every time I boot, is annoying, and I'm not entirely comfortable with the whole idea of borrowing someone else's IPs anyway

Last edited by Cassanova; 17th April 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 18th April 2009, 02:35 AM
marko Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassanova View Post
Updade:
Thanks to marko, I've discovered that my IPv6 is already off. so now I get to figure out the next possible cause of my slow connection. The other lead that I've got, is that editing my /etc/resolv.conf file, and replacing the IPs in it (with IPs from OpenDNS), fixes it... but IDK why, and re-editing the file every time I boot, is annoying, and I'm not entirely comfortable with the whole idea of borrowing someone else's IPs anyway
Well, you're trusting your ISP's DNS to be correct, why are they more trustworthy than opendns?
I will say, the main reason I won't use opendns is they manipulate certain things related to web searches.
Basically when you do a search to google, they proxy the search through one of their own hosts,
namely google.navigation.opendns.com

I guess with the intent of web ad targeting or data mining:

REF:
http://forums.opendns.com/comments.p...nID=226&page=2

Another thing that might really help is make sure your "dnsmasq" is on:

run this and make sure it says dnsmasq is running:
Quote:
service dnsmasq status
What dnsmasq will do is cache IP addresses as you get them, then the 2nd, 3rd, etc times you
go back you can avoid that possibly slow ISP dns and get the address from your own cache.

Tags
fedora, internet, slow