Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback > Please pardon our dust
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Please pardon our dust A thread in which to constructively make observations, offer feedback, make suggestions and provide assessments specifically about new and recent changes to the fedora forum.

Old 9th April 2009, 12:58 PM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
Could be, but I use opera. <shrug>.

It's also easier to tell someone use the fora's built in bugzilla search feature rather than say use the googlebar extension, and then have to answer when they say, "How do I do that?"

(A question which I wouldn't be able to answer as I use opera.)

As for people not using it, well, first they'll ask the question, then have it, hopefully kindly, suggested to them that they make use of it. As you say, only time will tell and it certainly has potental.
a condom has potential to scott, i think i said most of it above, i wont repeat it again but i will say this, the Bugzilla search is handy, the actual Google search is not IMHO but we will see, as for Opera, firefox rockz
Old 9th April 2009, 01:44 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Would it be possible to remove the "Google+" button and the "Create your own Custom Search Engine" links? I'm just being picky here, but it would be cool if we could put the "Search" button on the same line as the input box and set the text to "Go" (like the FedoraForum one) for the sake of consistency and saving some screen real estate.
Old 10th April 2009, 12:00 AM
bbfuller Offline

Well, I've often ducked out of the forum and used Google to do a forum search, before coming back. I for one will be very pleased to be able to do it from within the forum.

Main benefit as I see it is that the search results I've been getting from it have me still logged into the forum.

Disadvantage as far as I can see is that in my copy of Opera, 90 times out of a hundred the forum pages never completely load and I have to stop them before I can move on. Checking, it's always the Google search area that's failed to load.

I'll try it in Firefox tomorrow.

EDIT: Appears to be only an Opera problem, but it's repeatable on two machines.

Last edited by bbfuller; 10th April 2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10th April 2009, 01:55 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
if people cant type in https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ or http://google.com what makes you think there gonna clicck on the search facility an type in whatever there looking for? you might get the occasionaly brainy person that'll think of it an do it but that wont be many its gonna be a bit like this

Who is the mouse Pinky? Are you moonlighting on me? Get rid of him Pinky so we can get to work. Tonight we institute the Google forum search Pinky, tomorrow we take over the world!

<Tux's hat courtesy of Tangled Web Productions>
Old 10th April 2009, 01:58 AM
Demz

yeah the mouse is pinky i think
Old 10th April 2009, 02:02 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
yeah the mouse is pinky i think
That's true, Brain is a rat isnt he?
Old 10th April 2009, 02:04 AM
Demz

yeah he the rat
Old 10th April 2009, 06:19 PM
savage Offline

I think this is a good idea, but the in-built should be kept (if you're planning on removing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilja View Post
2) We do agree, that the standard Vbulletin search engine is crap?
It does have it's merits, mainly being able to search by date - which I just tested on Google for "mp3 codec" brought up results from 2007, not that this is a bad thing, since it provides different results from the in-built search.

I'm not sure if you can set Google to search by date, but why I think this is a good idea.

Demz is right, some people are too lazy to search, and type URLs, but those of us who do use search, and I imagine most people with 100+ posts probably do, or have, the structure of that menu gives a path to follow:
  1. search the forum
  2. search the forum through Google (possibly older but still relevant posts)
  3. Look on bugzilla to see if it's listed
Maybe bugzilla before the Google search, but thats cosmetic more than anything.

One suggestion, I'm not sure if you can do this, but can the search boxes be added to the actual search page? People without javascript enabled will miss the drop-down - I'm on a temp PC which has noscript, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.
Old 11th April 2009, 02:35 AM
metatron Offline

I think it's going to help the people who do actually use bugzilla and google. I see it as a tool for those people. The people who don't search before they post are still going to do that. But why not make it easier on those of us that do search, and at the same time make it more inviting and easier to those who normally wouldn't search. I tend to keep my browser pointed to this forum when I'm working on Fedora stuff and this just made my day. Especially since I've been using bugzilla more now that I am using a beta for the first time. I think that this can not be a bad idea no matter how you swing it.
Also, I think both Pinky and the Brain are mice.
Old 11th April 2009, 02:39 AM
Demz

should really be promoting the googlebar firefox extension not the Search Engine thats been installed as a Forum addon
Old 11th April 2009, 03:12 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Ah, but Linux is all about choice. Some of us much prefer opera.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 11th April 2009, 03:13 AM
Demz

Quote:
Ah, but Linux is all about choice. Some of us much prefer opera.
doesn't Opera have a search engine built into it?
Quote:
Get quick access to Google, eBay, Amazon and more with the search field in the upper right corner. Or, for even quicker searching, search directly in the address bar using built-in and customizable keywords. For example, type "g Opera" in the address bar to search for “Opera” with Google. You can also create your own Web search from any search field on the Internet, simply by right clicking on a search field and choosing “Create Search”.
http://www.opera.com/browser/

Last edited by Demz; 11th April 2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 11th April 2009, 03:19 AM
scottro Offline

It's got a little google thing, but I seldom use it. I usually just go to google.

As for me, I find the new engine a convenience, no muss, no fuss, no bother, no having to worry about toolbars.

I'd have to vote on this one as a Good Thing(TM).

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 11th April 2009, 03:26 AM
Demz

Quote:
It's got a little google thing, but I seldom use it. I usually just go to google.

As for me, I find the new engine a convenience, no muss, no fuss, no bother, no having to worry about toolbars.

I'd have to vote on this one as a Good Thing(TM).
Quote:
It's got a little google thing, but I seldom use it.
there you go scott, what makes you think newbs will use the Google Search Addon that leigh installed into this forum?
Old 11th April 2009, 03:39 AM
scottro Offline

Maybe the same reason I do. If I'm googling for something, I go to google. I type in whatever ['m googling and open promising pages in adjacent tabs. Or, hit ctl+t and open a tab and google.

However, if I'm searching the forums, I start with the forum search--if I have no joy, then I don't have to go to google or bugzilla anymore, because it's there.

At any rate, I think I'd have to say, "Whatever." If you don't like it or you prefer your firefox addon, use that, but I, at least, find it convenient.

I can't believe we've had 30 posts on this thing.

Not saying your way is bad, just that *I* find this more convenient.

Tags
added, engines, forum, search