Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 9th April 2009, 10:46 AM
Zlobniy Shurik Offline

Question How to boost sound level on Fedora11?

Hi all!

On my workstation (see smolt profile) Fedora 11 sound level too low.
All output regulators in all channels (gnome volume control & PulseAudio Volume Control) are set to 100% level, but sound is below comfort level in any program (Amarok/Rhytmbox music player/KPlayer)

Can I boost sound level by editing some conf-files?

P.S. In win 2003 on the same machine from the same output I get powerfull sound in any programs. My win sound setting usually set to 20%.

P.P.S. 100% of Fedora sound level is equal about 10-15% of win sound level now.
Server smolt profile
Workstation smolt profile
Reserve Workstation smolt profile
Old 9th April 2009, 02:55 PM
N_G_J Offline

I could have posted the same thing, nearly word-for-word.

I can listen to music at deafening levels on my desktop and laptop PCs using Fedora 10 (and prior), Windoze XP, and Vista, but while trying Fedora 11 Beta on both machines I noticed that the sound is very low with everything set to 100%.

I ran gnome-volume-control from the command-line, thinking it would open the old mixer, but it opens the new volume control.

Is there a way to set Master, PCM, Headphones, etc. (what the old mixer allowed you to control) to 100% using gconf-editor or something?

On my XP and Vista, when you right-click the volume icon you see options to adjust several different things... in my opinion, this should be what the new volume icon should do in GNOME. Right-click it and see ALSA, Pulse, Sound Events, etc.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, I'd have to say this wasn't thought through very well and I hope they end up going back to the method used in Fedora 10 and prior..
Old 9th April 2009, 03:57 PM
MetaCarpal Offline

I'm having the same problem on my laptop. I've been doing some research, and it looks to be caused by the "flat-volumes" setting in PulseAudio. I'm going to try disabling that when I get home this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 9th April 2009, 05:36 PM
Gambitt Offline

I boosted my video's/audio's volume to 300% by increasing it in the Audio Plugin option in Media Player Classic.. (If thats what you are using)

Linux

Last edited by Gambitt; 20th April 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:28 PM
AdamW Online
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Try running at a console:

alsamixer -c0

that should give you access to the 'real' hardware volume controls for your card. You may need to boost one of those to get full volume.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 9th April 2009, 11:17 PM
MetaCarpal Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post

alsamixer -c0

that should give you access to the 'real' hardware volume controls for your card. You may need to boost one of those to get full volume.
You are a god among men (or women, or AIs - don't want to make assumptions).
I was striking completely out with the PulseAudio config files. All I had to do was run that command, right-arrow over to PCM, and up-arrow to 100%.

All the difference in the world. Thank you.

I just filed a bug about this specific problem (Bug 495148).
Old 10th April 2009, 06:34 AM
Zlobniy Shurik Offline

Quote:

alsamixer -c0

Thank you very much!

It's completely fixed my sound problem.
Server smolt profile
Workstation smolt profile
Reserve Workstation smolt profile
Old 10th April 2009, 06:40 AM
Demz

Quote:

alsamixer -c0

thanks Adam, i been wondering about this to.
Old 10th April 2009, 11:48 AM
zylogz80 Offline

Thanks! The volume thing had been my only problem with F11 and now it's fixed!
Old 14th April 2009, 04:08 AM
metatron Offline

Yes, now I too can listen to things at a comfortable level. Thanks Adam.
Old 14th April 2009, 05:39 PM
AdamW Online

The main bug for this is https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=491372 .
Old 19th April 2009, 05:52 PM
Dors Offline

Talking

Thanks finally 5.1 is back
Old 20th April 2009, 09:59 PM
AdamW Online

by all means voice your opinions via the bug report linked in my last post, guys =)
Old 28th April 2009, 12:59 AM
AdamW Online

Can everyone who needed to use alsamixer -c0 to adjust their volume *so they could hear sound normally* please file a bug according to the following instructions? If you need it to set your input device, or for some other use case that's more complicated than just 'I can't hear anything', please don't file a bug according to these instructions yet. For now I'm trying to get proper reports for every case where g-v-c cannot correctly control the volume, so these cases can be fixed. Once you've filed a bug please post a reply here with a link to the report. Thanks!

It would be very helpful if you could file a bug at http://bugzilla.redhat.com , on the pulseaudio package in Rawhide. Please include the following information.

1. Attach the file /tmp/alsa-info.txt, after running 'alsa-info.sh --no-upload'

2. To find out exactly what you had to change to control your volume, please do this, as root:

alsactl init
amixer -c0 > amixer_before.txt

Now verify that your problem exists again. Then run a mixer and make the changes you have to make to 'resolve' your problem. Then go back to running commands:

amixer -c0 > amixer_after.txt

Then attach the files 'amixer_before.txt' and 'amixer_after.txt' to the bug report. The commands above assume the important sound device is card #0 in the output of 'cat /proc/asound/cards' . If this is not the case, change -c0 in each of the above commands to -cN, where N is the actual number of the important device in 'cat /proc/asound/cards' - for instance, if it's card number 2 in that list, change all -c0 to -c2 .

3. Also please include an exact description of the problem, including how your card behaves before the problem is fixed, how it behaves after the problem is fixed, and information on your actual sound output device - are you using a simple pair of computer speakers? Internal speakers on a laptop? Headphones? A digital S/PDIF connection to an external decoder?

Once you have done this, please let me know the number of your bug report. We will then work to make sure as many of these bugs are resolved as possible. You may be contacted for further information, or a confirmation of the fix, on the bug report, so please keep an eye on it after filing. Thanks very much for your help!
Old 28th April 2009, 08:20 PM
Jongi Offline

AdamW is too late to file if I see this thread after having run alsamixer -c0? i happened to see your advice in another thread.

Tags
boost, fedora11, level, sound