Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > The Dungeon > Archived (Click Header To See Sub-Forums) > Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Alpha, Beta & Snapshots Discussions (Fedora 11 Only) Post Development Version comments and questions that don't belong in Bugzilla here. These posts will be moved or deleted once the Final version is released

Old 9th April 2009, 01:16 AM
cruiser06 Offline

Problems Partitioning Fedora 11 Beta

Is anyone else having problems (exceptions) with partitioning? I can't seem to get past this point unless I accept the default layout. I am trying to create a /home (and possibly /data) partition(s). I was able to create both of these partitions with Fedora 10 (first time creating partitions) and I was anxious to try it again with this release. With Fedora 10, I waited for the Preview release. I don't know if that would help or not. I would appreciate knowing if anyone else is having similar problems. Thank you!
Old 9th April 2009, 08:12 AM
SlowJet Offline

What?
Take a few breaths and try again with some details of what you did in diskdruid gui with the partitioning dropdown after selecting comustom partitioning. (If you even bothered to read the selections.?)

There have been some anaconda (the installer) problems, but not basic stuff on beta.

P.S. why not get the boot.iso from a mirror and install the current rawhide. You will bypass a lot of bugs.(and it needs testing anyway.)
http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/pub...elopment/i386/

SJ
Old 9th April 2009, 08:19 AM
metatron Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser06 View Post
Is anyone else having problems (exceptions) with partitioning? I can't seem to get past this point unless I accept the default layout. I am trying to create a /home (and possibly /data) partition(s). I was able to create both of these partitions with Fedora 10 (first time creating partitions) and I was anxious to try it again with this release. With Fedora 10, I waited for the Preview release. I don't know if that would help or not. I would appreciate knowing if anyone else is having similar problems. Thank you!
What exactly are you having a problem with? Please explain what you're trying to do and what Anaconda is letting you/not letting you do. How are your partitions currently laid out?
Old 9th April 2009, 10:33 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

The disk handling code in anaconda has been entirely rewritten for F11, so we're expecting issues in this area and we really need people to file reports when they come across them. However, we do need a lot more details

As the others asked, please explain exactly what you've tried to do and what happens when you do it, and some information on your hardware: ideally, what disks do you have, and what disk controllers. A Smolt profile would be great if you have it. Thanks!
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 10th April 2009, 01:14 AM
jsandys Offline

Quote:
My guess is that you probably already have 4 primary partitions, /boot, /, /home and /data.
I have a similar problem.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...8&postcount=14
-- Jeff
Old 11th April 2009, 03:02 AM
cruiser06 Offline

I'm sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I went back and tried to create the partitions and I got it to work. Apparently I needed to change the size (/ partition) in order to make room for the /home partition. I don't remember doing that before. I thought the numbers adjusted automatically. Anyway, I got it to work this time.

I do have a concerned though. I have downloaded the Beta release twice (direct download and torrent) and both times, after burning the disk, the installation disk check told me that there were errors. I was still able to do the install but with both disks I get an exception message at the very end of the software installation. Everything seems to have worked though and I haven't had any problems. Just thought I'd mention it. Thanks to all.
Old 12th April 2009, 03:21 AM
metatron Offline

Quote:
I'm sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I went back and tried to create the partitions and I got it to work. Apparently I needed to change the size (/ partition) in order to make room for the /home partition. I don't remember doing that before. I thought the numbers adjusted automatically. Anyway, I got it to work this time.

I do have a concerned though. I have downloaded the Beta release twice (direct download and torrent) and both times, after burning the disk, the installation disk check told me that there were errors. I was still able to do the install but with both disks I get an exception message at the very end of the software installation. Everything seems to have worked though and I haven't had any problems. Just thought I'd mention it. Thanks to all.
A couple possibilities for that are 1) You had no more space on your hdd to create a /home partition so you had to shrink another partition (you chose the /). 2) You have an extended partition which encompasses the rest of your freespace so you had to shrink your / partition anyway in order to create a /home partition. If this is the case you could create more space on your other primary partitions by shrinking your extended partition. But I couldn't be sure without seeing how it was laid out.

As for your errors, I'm not sure if it's talking about the same issue but check this thread http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...=jesse+keating

Tags
beta, fedora, partitioning