Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th April 2009, 02:21 PM
Revhead Offline

How do I create a second install?

Can someone please explain how or point me to a guide that shows how to install a second installation of Fedora alongside my existing one.
In the process I'd also like to create a partition for docs etc.
I installed my current x64 installation in default mode but I suspect it is irretrievably flawed (slow to start, can't change samba permissions, can't get printer to work, the list goes on), but rather than wipe it and start again I'd like to maintain it at least until I get the second installation up and running.
I'd then like to keep the new install while I try out FC11 when it is released, with the aim of having on working and one testing install.
Any help gratefully accepted.
Toshiba Satellite U300 T7100 notebook
Old 7th April 2009, 11:01 PM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Hello:
To do a "second install" is done the very same as the first install.

One issue that you may run into is if you selected LVM on your first installation ?
If so, you may have no more "free disc space" [meaning unformatted] to install the second try on.

You might want to give some thought to back up any information / data from your first installation and then go for a new installation.

Make sure you select a Custom Installation and read through the Installation guide on Disk Partitioning.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...titioning.html

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 7th April 2009, 11:34 PM
Revhead Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve View Post
You might want to give some thought to back up any information / data from your first installation and then go for a new installation.

Seve
Thanks for your time.
So, you are suggesting that option B (starting from scratch) may be the easiest in the long run?
So I'd wipe it and start again. Do a custom install, creating the necessary partitions the first time around, and then do a second install straight away to the other partition I have created, leaving a third partition for any docs etc that I want to protect?
The hard disk on my notebook is 160Gb, what size and how many partitions should I create and what file structure should I use?
Should I also create a swap partition?
Ahhh . . . here we go again . . .
Old 8th April 2009, 12:48 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhead View Post
Thanks for your time.
So, you are suggesting that option B (starting from scratch) may be the easiest in the long run?
So I'd wipe it and start again. Do a custom install, creating the necessary partitions the first time around, and then do a second install straight away to the other partition I have created, leaving a third partition for any docs etc that I want to protect?
The hard disk on my notebook is 160Gb, what size and how many partitions should I create and what file structure should I use?
Should I also create a swap partition?
Ahhh . . . here we go again . . .
Hello:
There are guidelines as to disk space located here : http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...g-general.html
Here is what I would use:
/boot <--- 200 Mb
/ <--- where the OS goes - 8 Gig
/home <--- or any size you like - say 5 Gig
/swap <--- 1 x Your Memory

BTW don't worry about installing things several times, we all have gone through that scenario.
It's just part of the learning curve.

Seve
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 14th April 2009, 10:11 AM
Revhead Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve View Post
Hello:
There are guidelines as to disk space located here : http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...g-general.html
Here is what I would use:
/boot <--- 200 Mb
/ <--- where the OS goes - 8 Gig
/home <--- or any size you like - say 5 Gig
/swap <--- 1 x Your Memory

BTW don't worry about installing things several times, we all have gone through that scenario.
It's just part of the learning curve.

Seve
Thanks.
In hindsight I accepted the default layout which means I accepted LVM?
I hear what you are saying but I thought I read somewhere that you could create new partitions within the existing LVM structure?

Tags
create, install