Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th September 2004, 03:47 AM
Ray Offline

Smile More applications

I have been playin around with Fedora for a couple of days now so I a a new born babe and clueless and I have a couple of stupid questions....

I dl'd all 4 iso's, rescue disk, burned em to cd's, did check sum and installed the system on an older computer (Dell 700 Pentium with a gig and 80 hd, 64 video card) had absolutley no problems....Dl'd ALL the updates and new kernel.....

Everything was recognized, got my scanner, printer, digital camera, e card, network all set up and running. THe computer rocks. I have only Fedora on this machine and no windows. ( 5 other computers in house with the kids. )

What I was wondering is there a way to dl new applications "automatically" like the updates ?

Like I said, I'm new to this and still learning so please excuse my ignorance. I just can't seem to figger this one out....( of course its hard not to play with what i already have installed..<grin>

Thanks in advance

Ray
--
Probably the worst first post ever.
Repeat after me: I will read the posting guidelines-
- Foolish

Last edited by foolish; 11th September 2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10th September 2004, 02:35 PM
dishawjp Offline

Ray,

There are several ways to take care of updates. Once you're online, with a default FC2 install you shold have a little blue circle with a checkmark in it that will change to a red circle with a bang in it when there are updates available. This is the RH/FC up2date program. Click on the button and follow the directions and you will be updated.

A better IMHO wat is to point your web browser to:

http://apt.freshrpms.net

and download and install the apt4rpm program. This is a command line updater and there are tons of sites that will give you help on using it or you can access the man pages (man apt or man apt-get) for directions on how to use it. If you're a "point and click" kind of guy, once apt is installed, type the following commands as root:

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade -y

and sit back and wait for the magic to happen. Depending on how you access the internet (dialup or broadband) this could take a while. But when it's done, type the command:

apt-get install synaptic

and the Synaptic GUI updater will be installed. From then on, you can point and click your way to new free software, updates and etc. with all dependency issues automatically resolved. I'm pretty old and not too bright, so I stick to the command line... the GUI stuff just confuses me.

HTH

Jim Dishaw

PS: Just rereading your message... if you meant that you wanted the computer to do the updates with NO user interaction, yes, that can be done by setting up a cron job. If that was your question, let me know. That's no biggie either.

Jim

Last edited by dishawjp; 10th September 2004 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10th September 2004, 03:13 PM
ilja Offline

Why do you write blue, bold and so big?

please read and understand this guidelines : http://www.fedoraforum.org/guidelines.php

and then refer to here : http://fedorafaq.org/#installsoftware

Tags
applications