Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th March 2009, 10:55 AM
Demz

Project Devs leave PCLinuxOS

Quote:
Internal issues have rocked the world of PClinuxOS with numerous developers quitting the project. The issues appear to have started when project lead, Bill Reynolds (Texstar), took a year-long break from running the distribution and left the distro's primary system administrator, Solis, in charge. Without input from the project founder, development of PCLinuxOS 2009 by the community continued but just before release, Solis halted it so that Reynolds could overview it. The release was then delayed two weeks while it was finalised. It appears that many developers were not happy with the way this was handled and have consequently left the project.

Written On her Blog Solis explains: "He [Reynolds] left me in charge of his 'baby' while he was on hiatus... The only problem was the 'boys'. They didn't realize the trust that the big jefe had placed in me as he handed me the keys to his 'Kingdom'. He not only handed over all the keys, but made me admin over all he had. Why couldn't they just accept his trust in me, instead of going 'behind closed doors' to plan what direction they were headed in next? It all boiled down to me stopping the release of this year's offering until 'the man' had a chance to look it over. He wasn't totally happy, and it took almost two weeks to get it in suitable shape for release. In the meantime they stomped out the door, and took a lot of people with them based on lies." The project has now started the task of "opening up to the community whereas before everything was done or controlled by a small group. Tasks are being divided up into sections, and teams are being assembled so this very thing cannot happen again (hopefully)," writes Solis.

JMiahMan, admin of the PCLinuxOS hardware database and developer of EeePCLinuxOS, voiced his dismay at the announcement: "Not hearing from Texstar for more than a year, development [by the community] continued, then the moment before release passwords were changed on servers and suddenly Texstar is back and now not only halting the release, but saying all the hard work the community did for a year wasn't good enough. That's leadership suicide." More information is sure to come to light as former developers switch to other projects

The issues within PCLinuxOS have rippled across other distributions which are derived from it. Tinyme a PCLinuxOS based distribution for older hardware, has decided to Break Away From The Parent Distro due to irreconcilable differences: "I and many others who have packaged and/or developed for PCLinuxOS are leaving the dev team due to disagreement with individuals within it. This action was taken with no ill will intended toward PCLinuxOS and Texstar. A compromise was attempted but not achieved. I'd like to thank all the PCLinuxOS community members for their support and all TinyMe community members for their constant enthusiasm, supportive comments, and continued support/use of the distribution." According to project lead, KDulcimer, the next release will not use the official PCLinuxOS repositories and, as such, an upgrade from previous versions may not be possible. As yet it is unclear whether the project will base itself off another existing distribution, or build their own base from scratch. Either way, the project aims to continue on developing: "As it is now, TinyMe will continue development with even more vigor than in past releases," writes KDulcimer. Other derivatives which are expected to re-base and leave PCLinuxOS are, EeePCLinuxOS, Granular PCe17OS, PCFluxboxOS, Producer Edition (previously PELinuxOS) and Tinyflux.

In related news, Derrick Devine, former administrator of the community project site MyPCLinuxOS, recently handed over control of the project and Announced work on a New Linux Distribution called Unity, with many of the other former PCLinuxOS developers: "What it will be is a new Linux distribution that takes an incremental approach to desktop Linux. It will provide a central core and use the mklivecd scripts that PCLinuxOS uses and it will provide a base from which to build just about any desktop you want out there." Currently the distro is being developed behind closed doors, but more information should come to light soon. Either way, it is clear that no animosity exists on the side of former PCLinuxOS developers, who remain grateful to the distribution for everything they have been able to achieve over the years. Derrick continues: "You won't hear us say anything bad about PCLinuxOS, its leadership, or the direction it is going. We are very proud to have been members of the PCLinuxOS community... some of us for almost six years. Nothing can take away our gratitude."
trouble for PCLinuxOS ? interesting news http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090330#news

Last edited by Demz; 30th March 2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:07 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Sad indeed! Texstar has been the core of PCLOS, of course, and this is the kind of thing that can happen when so much revolves around one man. I've always liked the distro and included it on my drives, so I hope that the problems resolve themselves quickly.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:14 AM
Demz

Sad to see it get to this point . hope they are resolved if not he can always help with the fedora project by maintaining some kinda package, maybe with Adam onboard he would feel more comfortable working with fedora
Old 30th March 2009, 11:26 AM
kc1di Offline

Too much control of an opensource project will kill it. But perhaps some good will come of it yet.
Registered Linux User #462608
Blessings to all
Old 30th March 2009, 11:31 AM
Demz

lets hope this distribution doesnt finish or end here, if it does goodluck to textar for the future. though im sure he'll pickup another job with another Distro rather quickly if he were to finish up with PCLinuxOS
Old 30th March 2009, 11:52 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I can't see it 'ending up here'. The real problem here is the way this news is being released; negative words from key devs and 'poor me' attitude by the guy left in charge. PCLOS will survive, but there's lots of work to be done in restructuring.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:00 PM
Demz

guess only time will tell if the Distro survives or not , but i think the news wont help PCLinuxOS development.
Old 30th March 2009, 12:01 PM
Jake Offline

Well, the first time I hear of PCLinuxOS, and it isn't good news LOL.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 30th March 2009, 12:04 PM
Demz

PCLinuxOS is a Good Distro Jake, Textar came from Mandrake/Mandriva to form his own Distro so i would probably say textar knows what he's doing but what will he do? pull the plug on pclinuxos development or stay with it?

if anyone gets anymore news about this post updates on it
Old 2nd April 2009, 02:47 PM
rm2 Offline

I have used PCLinuxOS for a while (ever since SuSE made that dumb deal with ...). PCLinuxOS was a breath of fresh air. It was beautiful, easy to use, and very stable. When I say easy to use I mean that everything just worked, out of the box, including multimedia, etc. Another great aspect of PCLinuxOS was that it was a rolling release. This means that you don't have to install from scratch every few month to get the latest and greatest. All you have to do is apply updates. My home machine has been continuously updated since the 2007 PCLinuxOS release and it is completely current and stable. So, PCLinuxOS offers some very unique things in the Linux distro landscape.

Texstar is a true artist, and an outstanding one at that. I don't think anyone doubts his talent. But yes, he is only human. About a year ago, he decided to take some time off from PCLinuxOS and chose not not make an announcement about it. All we know is that it was due to personal maters. That is fine with me. I like my privacy and can surely respect his. I use *his* distro for free (well I have contributed with voluntary donations, but that was my choice) and he does not owe me any explanations. However, the ones left in charge, explained it as a temporary leave. So, we all knew/hoped that he was well and that he would come back some day soon. In the mean time, his helpers, "The Ripper Gang", tried to fill his shoes as best they could. They managed to get after a lot of struggle, a very solid 2009 release, and they managed to update all PCLinuxOS users to it with minimal breakage, if any.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of friction between the developers and the one that was left to administer the distro (a very fine lady known as CSolis). It appears that CSolis decided to lock the developers out at the time of the 2009 release so that Texstar could review it. I know, that sounds strange. It may have been a diplomatic mistake, we do not know all the details about why exactly this took place, but there you have it. Fortunately, Texstar did manage to return and review it. He made a few improvements and that is what became 2009.1. But, as you can imagine, the developers felt very hurt that they had been stripped of their access rights after all that work and sacrifice. Even if it was just a temporary situation. So they decided that they would be happier starting their own distro.

The good news is that it seems that Texstar is back in full force. How long is he back for and will he need to take another leave soon? No one knows, and so far, he is not telling. But, as of right now, the updates are a plenty and things are rolling very well. The PCLinuxOs community has a lot of smart people that are stepping up to help. So, it seems that the distro is going to be OK. I for one plan to keep PCLinuxOS on my home machine as long as I can. No other distro offers me the smooth trouble free functionality that PCLinuxOS does. On my laptop I prefer to have a variety of Linux distributions installed, and right now it boots to Fedora 10 (KDE) by default.

As for the new distro that the developers are starting out, named "Unity", I have no doubt that it is going to be a good product. Will it be great? I doubt it. All the developers are good, but I don't know if they have the talent that someone like Texstar can bring to the table. Time will tell.
Old 2nd April 2009, 03:00 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

Hmmmm.

May or may not be related, but the last two PCLOS releases I've tried have been a bit "dark."

That's easily enough to change, though, as long as functionality is there. However, this latest release did have some issues with my hardware which I did not expect.

Regarding the careful nursing of personal hair-pulls and shouting them from the rooftops ...

Weeeell, that's likely gonna have some negative consequences ... for everybody involved.
Old 12th April 2009, 07:51 AM
spiralofhope Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
trouble for PCLinuxOS ? interesting news http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090330#news
Unfortunately, there are a lot of incorrectly-worded statements in that article. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm2 View Post
About a year ago, he decided to take some time off from PCLinuxOS and chose not not make an announcement about it. All we know is that it was due to personal maters.
The developers were told, and they were told the reasons. It was personal, and if it were me, I also wouldn't tell the users.

Quote:
However, the ones left in charge, explained it as a temporary leave.
Temporaryness wasn't mentioned. From what I can tell, most developers wanted to assume it was temporary out of best wishes for Texstar.

Quote:
Unfortunately, there was a bit of friction between the developers and the one that was left to administer the distro (a very fine lady known as CSolis). It appears that CSolis decided to lock the developers out at the time of the 2009 release so that Texstar could review it.
No. She took a democratic development team and started playing dictator. Remember that she's not herself a developer.

Quote:
But, as you can imagine, the developers felt very hurt that they had been stripped of their access rights after all that work and sacrifice. Even if it was just a temporary situation. So they decided that they would be happier starting their own distro.
This is so very very very wrong, and I signed up so I can explain.

Unity Linux was an idea brewing for some time. Some developers left a month before this stuff happened. Some left almost a half a year before it, and all for individual different reasons.

Some of the developers had already decided to leave the project, but wanted to stay long enough to help get 2009 released.

Unity Linux is made of more than developers from PCLinuxOS. They are sensitive to being lumped together with this drama.

To be clear - Unity Linux was not born of some mass exodus of developers from PCLinuxOS. It's just happens that the final pieces fell into place when the unpleasantness happened.

Finally, when you say "temporary measure".. it was not. It was followed by removing developers from mailing lists and banning them from the forum. This was not some kind of pause to check things out. It was a raging monster of a diplomatic error. After this, Texstar came back.

Quote:
But, as of right now, the updates are a plenty and things are rolling very well.
A lot of users would disagree. My system was broken a few times. With few developers/packagers, it must be a lot of hard work to get things done. Tex is a god with packaging though, and my system is running well now.

Quote:
The PCLinuxOs community has a lot of smart people that are stepping up to help.
Really? I know of a few names from the kernel and remastering who haven't left.. but the core developers and packagers seem to be gone now. I've heard that some new moderators have been assigned to randomly-ban well-intentioned users, but as for developers.. I'm sure people will eventually step up.

Quote:
As for the new distro that the developers are starting out, named "Unity", I have no doubt that it is going to be a good product. Will it be great? I doubt it. All the developers are good, but I don't know if they have the talent that someone like Texstar can bring to the table. Time will tell.
Yeah, we only have a half dozen remaster projects and some 25 developers. =(

Oh, and the whole Ripper Gang and Santa's Little Helpers..

Last edited by spiralofhope; 12th April 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12th April 2009, 07:56 AM
Demz

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are a lot of incorrectly-worded statements in that article. =(
how so? i myself havent seen much going on over at the PCLinuxOS forums an as you know there isnt anything to rave on about the new release
Old 12th April 2009, 08:21 AM
spiralofhope Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
how so? i myself havent seen much going on over at the PCLinuxOS forums an as you know there isnt anything to rave on about the new release

Argh, you had to make me pick that one apart. =p I so don't want to get into details. Everyone is saying to just let this crap fly around and that it's unpreventable, but for now I'd just rather have less unreasonable and one-sided spin out there.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090330#news

> left the distro's primary system administrator, Solis, in charge.

Debatable. To me, some developers seemed surprised to hear of this (just before they left).

> Solis halted it so that Reynolds could overview it.

Tex halted the release. She just gummed up the works.

> It appears that many developers were not happy with the way this was handled and have consequently left the project.

A lie. Developers were unhappy because of the complete lack of communication from Texstar, the slow downward spiral of the distribution and finally the raging diplomatic disaster who was "put in charge".

It has nothing to do with the handling of the eventual release during it's development, and many developers stayed to help out .. right to the release.

> The only problem was the 'boys'. ... Why couldn't they just accept his trust in me, instead of going 'behind closed doors' to plan what direction they were headed in next?

An open democracy is not "the boys" or "behind closed doors". She is not a developer and attempted no technical input. She did not vote, she played dictator. This naturally rubs developers the wrong way.

> In the meantime they stomped out the door, and took a lot of people with them based on lies.

Uh, yeah. This ignores the developers who had left long before and the developers who were already planning it before this mess happened. Curious that every thread which was created to discuss any of this has been eradicated. So I guess it's just everyone's word and people's private cache. This is why you haven't seen much going on over at the PCLinuxOS forums.

To me, having the ear of enough people, and doing what polite research I can without stirring up a shwtstorm, it sounds like some interesting damage-control has been done.. It becomes handy to name bad guys to misdirect attention and blame.

> Other derivatives which are expected to re-base and leave PCLinuxOS are ...

And Granular.

> In related news, Derrick Devine, former administrator of the community project site MyPCLinuxOS, recently handed over control of the project...

"recently"? Worded to associate the timing, I'm sure. There isn't an association, he had long since left the development team and had already been planning his own project. The MyPCLinuxOS handover was an event separate from and earlier than the general drama.

Last edited by spiralofhope; 12th April 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12th April 2009, 08:31 AM
Demz

i still think there's trouble over at PCLinuxOS , maybe textar has had enough with the project who knows? only time will tell what happens with the project