Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th March 2009, 06:32 PM
rookcifer Offline

Pyuic -- How to Install?

I am trying to utilize the "Python User Interface Compiler" but cannot seem to find how to actually install it. I have PyKDE4, PyQT4 and all of the devel packages installed. What package does pyuic come with?

Using Fedora 10 x86_64.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out that I have to type "pyuic4" at the command line as opposed to "pyuic." Finally, after an hour of googling I figured it out.

Last edited by rookcifer; 28th March 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 28th March 2009, 11:06 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Two little tricks that might help in the future.

One is tab completion--if you type the first few letters of a command, the shell will complete it. For example if I type py and hit the tab key (I don't know python, I'm afraid, so I don't have this program installed, but this is simply an example), I see
Code:
pydoc              pylupdate          pysol.bak          pytovid
pygrub             pymakemenu         python             pyuic
pygtk-codegen-2.0  pymakexml          python2
pyidvid            pysol              python2.4
(this is on CentOS--your output, of course, might be different.)

So, if you've installed a program and aren't sure of its name, you can try typing some likely letters--in this case, had you typed pyu and then hit the tab key, you should have gotten pyuic4.

Another handy one, when you're trying to figure out how to get a program or package is

yum provides */<program_name>

For CentOS, it shows me that I need to install PyQt (and that, on CentOS, the program *is* called pyuic.)

(You might have to run this as root or with root privilege---I'm not sure if that's a CentOS thing or yum in general).

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon

Tags
install, pyuic