Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th March 2009, 03:29 PM
AFD Offline

Exclamation Acer Aspire One Fedora 10 update bug - ruins OS

Hi.

Up until recently I've been an Ubuntu user who loved the ease of use for noobs but wasn't completely satisfied with the out-of-the-box performance I have since enjoyed with Fedora 10.

2 months ago I bought an Acer Aspire One L (the SSD model) as it shipped with Linpus Linux and I was pretty sure all the hardware would be supported across other distros. I installed Fedora 10 the first day I got the netbook and away I went - almost all of the OS functions working straight from the install / LiveUSB.

After a few tweaks - installing VLC / Skype / Open Office 3 / Filezilla / OpenJDK - and an upgrade to the latest Firefox with the addition of the Adobe Flash plugin I has all I needed and things looked good.

My problem was whenever I installed a piece of software the Fedora system update started up and told me I should upgrade to avoid bugs, security vulnerabilities and the like. Unfortunately after an update my OS was ruined and I have no idea how to start probing which update caused the issue...

I've had to backup and re-install about half a dozen times now and at least twice that was down to the system update.

I am currently running a system that seems fine apart from a continual crash in Pidgin which is mission critical for me. I think this is down to a kernel upgrade that was a dependency with a yum software install... I am now guessing that there is a system update that will fix this bug but I need to stay away from the single or multiple instance/s in the system update that lead to a crash of the OS.

Anyone with knowledge of the Aspire One with Fedora 10 - I'd REALLY like to hear from you. Especially if you have knowledge of the system update bug on the Aspire One.

I'm installing another 1gb of RAM this weekend and getting rid of the current swap so will re-install again once the hardware is upgraded. Ideally I'd like to do a system update as soon as the install is finished so WHICH UPDATE DO I STEER CLEAR OF?
Old 14th April 2009, 10:52 AM
aluhat Offline

Hello AFD,

I am running Acer Aspire One with Fedora 10 (desktop: xcfe and filesystem: ext4 on SSD). Although the system update takes much longer (sometimes up to 7 or 8 hours) than on systems that have normal disks, it does come through.
For me the problem is Skype that I managed to install, but the microphone is not working. So I can make a testcall and hear the other people but I cannot speak. The webcam does work.

In general it tooke some more tweaking than usual for me to set up a smooth Fedora, but with the above mentioned setup it does run allright. I must honestly say that I expected the SSD to be much faster which they are not yet.

Regards,
Aluhat
The paradox of artificial intelligence: any system simple enough to be understandable will not be complicated enough to behave intelligently; and any system complicated enough to behave intelligently will not be simple enough to understand.
Old 15th April 2009, 05:53 PM
arthurhanlon Offline

I too have an Acer One but I have the hard drive version 160GB and 1GB ram. It's a sweet little unit and Fedora 10 runs beautifully on it.

I did need to tweak the WiFi and install the MadWifi drivers but after that it worked really well.

I seem to be seeing many people having varying issues with the One running different falvours of Linux and am starting to think it's kind of a hit and miss situation wether it'll work or not

Arthur
Old 20th April 2009, 09:23 PM
AFD Offline

Thanks for the replies guys.
At the moment I am too scared to try any of the 400 or so updates waiting as I still don't know which one will break it!
I'll probably wait for F11 now as I'm guessing that will work out of the box as well as my F10 did

I have ongoing problems using skype and pidgin at the same time - but I just use one at a time and that seems stable. Not really a solution I know...

I'm going to start one or two more threads for other issues. If you think you can help please take a look.
Big love to the Fedora community for all the support they offer.
Old 20th April 2009, 09:30 PM
aluhat Offline

Hi AFD,

Did you need to do anything special to make skype work? Or did it work immediately after installation?

Regards,
Aluhat
The paradox of artificial intelligence: any system simple enough to be understandable will not be complicated enough to behave intelligently; and any system complicated enough to behave intelligently will not be simple enough to understand.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:56 PM
AFD Offline

Hi aluhat,

If I remember correctly I used terminal and followed an online guide to installing skype using commands only.

I had a few audio problems (and I think I've JUST sorted them this evening) but the webcam worked out of the box.

My audio is set up as follows;

Go to System / Preferences / Hardware / Sound

The first 3 drop boxes should be left as Autodetect. The Audio Conferencing Sound Capture option should be set to HDA Intel ALC268 Analog (ALSA).
I have the Default Mixer Track drop box set as HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
Now close this window.

Now go to System / Preferences / Hardware / Volume Control

I have the first Device drop box set to HDA Intel (Alsa mixer)
On the Playback click Preferences. Tick all boxes apart from Beep.
Turn up everything on the Playback tab, Capture (but not Capture 1) on the Recording tab and on the Options tab select Mic as the top input source and Front Mic on the bottom input source.
Now close the window.

I will try to find the install command/s I used if you want to try it...

AFD
Old 21st April 2009, 08:23 PM
aluhat Offline

Thanks for your information about the audio settings. I have copied them accordingly. What I noticed is that the skype software turns downs the capture (mic) completely down as soon as there is sound played back. So I am never allowed to use the mic by the skype software.
For me this behaviour is very strange and completely defeats the purpose of telephone software.
Old 21st April 2009, 09:59 PM
aluhat Offline

I have found it. In skype there is on options panel. In the Sound devices there is an option that says: Allow Skype to adjust my mixer levels. If you leave it checked then skype will completely lower down the mic. It is so silly that is almost funny, except that I ruined a few evenings looking for a solution. A classic example in the category: how to annoy people.
Old 26th April 2009, 03:23 PM
AFD Offline

Can I ask again if anyone knows which update/s to steer clear of in F10 on the AAO?
Old 27th April 2009, 10:08 AM
aluhat Offline

I have updated recently (2 weeks ago) to the latest update level and I cannot report any breaks. The only thing I noticed that it took really long (7-8 hours) because of the very slow SSD card Acer has provided. So leave the powerplug on and plug a wired ethernet cable, leave it overnight and you should be fine.

Personally I am more afraid to reinstall F11, although I am sure it will work. But then you have to do all the fine-tuning again.

good luck!
Old 20th May 2009, 10:33 PM
AFD Offline

Ok, I did a full update of F10 over night on Monday (18th May) and it took a _long_ time! I mean over 19hrs long!!
It did the job as well as I could have hoped though - no missing login GUI on boot, in fact no issues at all

</paranoia>

Tags
acer aspire one, f10, system update