Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th March 2009, 04:38 AM
Crazy4Fedora Offline

automatic disk log cleanup bash script

Here's an automatic cleanup script from me to you!

Who is this for? Anyone who wants to clean-up log files on any posix system (ubuntu, other linux distros,solaris,etc), for any server software that generates log files, and do so automatically and dynamically without having to make any modifications to the script. I attached the script and user documentation. I'm passionate about this, because I believe it could be useful for a great many people in the global unix community.
[Please see the archive that has the most updated script and documentation.]

It allows one to process a directory (most typical invocations would be a log directory), and would be triggered when a user specified disk capacity is met. It would then cleanup as mandiated by the parameters passed, until a target capicity is reached or there are no more files to process. This script, wisely leveraged, can save a great deal of time and almost single-handedly eliminate the need for SAs to cleanup systems.

If you're not an SA, you can still find use for it, to cleanup automatically. Please look at the documentation and script to see how it can save you time. Thanks for your time, and I hope you'll have more of it with this script on your tool-belt. Please feel free to send constructive critisms, feedback, how you leveraged it to save time.

Call your parent's, your kids, your friends, your friend's parents, your boss, his/her boss, your underlings: Tell 'em it was a good day, give them the 411. Get the word out. Thanks!

Last edited by Crazy4Fedora; 24th March 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: adding user documentation and script in attached tar, stating who this would be good for.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:30 AM
Crazy4Fedora Offline

Link to script and documentation, usage, functionality, etc -- below

I'm having an issue uploading the script and documenation in this forum. I have posted it elsewhere. I can be retrieved here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...62#post6920362

I'll ask the maintainers what the issue is, but in the interim be assured that the script & the documentation with it's usage, valuable, features, etc is there for your usage, and I do hope that you use it. Thanks again for your time.