Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th September 2004, 06:59 AM
flayedchild Offline

Question Dell XPS troubles with FC2

Hello all, this is my first post so please be nice

I just installed FC2 onto a dell XPS (laptop), it works well execpt for three things, and i was wondering if you all could shed some light on these.
1) I cannot get the sound to work, it says it is auto recognising the card as a 82801EB/ER AC'97 intel audio controler with the folowing module: snd-intel8x0. When it plays the test sound I hear nothing.

2) I have a Linksys G wireless card (WPC54G v2) and I cannot get that working either. It dosent even give me the little green power light. I know this has been asked many times, but Ihave rummaged through this and other forums, but I have not gotten a workable solution yet.

3) And finnaly is the Radeon 9800M graphics card. By reading others posts, Igather that there is no drivers for this, and there is no way to enable 2d or 3d acceleration. Please tell me I am wrong about this (and why doesnt ATI release a driver???)

Thank you all in advance
-FlayedChild
Old 7th September 2004, 09:35 AM
imdeemvp Offline

are you using kde or gnome?

1. in gnome you can see the volume icon next to the clock make sure the bar is up and if it keeps coming down go to the open volume control center and raise up the bars in the options given and lock them too.

2. is your redeon giving a correct display f.e. 1024x768? than you are ok at least with display......but if you want to istall drivers follow this tutorial

3. the only thing i cant help you is your wireless i dont use laptop. :o

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D

Last edited by imdeemvp; 7th September 2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 7th September 2004, 09:51 AM
superbnerd

about the wireless card: check if you rcard is listed at the ndiswrapper card list
Old 7th September 2004, 04:40 PM
flayedchild Offline

Thank you guys,
I am Using Gnome

I have the sound fixed...... all Ineeded to do was to turn the master mono up. (Its good to be a n00b)

The display is coming in fine and with good resolution, but I thought I would need to have 3d acceleration for some games. (Like unreal 2004 ) Is this the case?

And I did look at the ndiswrapper list, ther is an entry for WPC54, WPC54 v3, WPC54 v4 and WPC54 SpeeBooster. Does this mean I am out of luck??

Again, I really apreciate the linux community and the help.
Why wouldnt people switch to linux..... its beond me.
-FlayedChild
Old 7th September 2004, 11:17 PM
superbnerd

i'll work backward:
people are afarid freedom (choices), and linux is all about your choice. it also requires that you know what you are doing, and most people don't like to have to think about waht they do.
not exactly sure if your out of luck. you should find out which chipset you v2 card has and get the drivers for that chipset.
yes, you do nned 3d acceleration to play games. did you follow the turtorial posted by imdeemvp. here it is again
great, you got your sound working.
Old 8th September 2004, 10:31 PM
flayedchild Offline

All right, I cannot even get the PCMCIA card to have power... (the little light stays off) Untill Ican get this working I dont think I can even try to get ti to work... I have a Dell Inspiron XPS laptop.... please help. I am driving myself batty.
_thanks for the help so far guys

Last edited by flayedchild; 9th September 2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10th September 2004, 12:18 AM
superbnerd

did the card ever work under another os on that laptop? if the power is not on, linux won't even know it's pluged in. check your bios and your fn key to turn it on.
Old 10th September 2004, 12:49 PM
olivierv Offline

If you're still looking for information regarding the video setup on your XPS laptop you may also want to look for threads about Dell's Inspiron 9100. They're very close hardware-wise. I think the only differences between the 2 models is that the XPS has 'customizable' cases and Dell allows the XPS to have Intel's P4E CPU. The difference between the mobility 9800 and 9700 is also minor as far as Linux goes since both are unsuported (please don't post back telling me how the cards are different at the hardware level, I know they are). I haven't done research on the M9800 (as I don't have one), but I know that the M9700 is based on the ATI 9600XT for the desktop so I use drivers on my laptop for the desktop version and it works fine.

I did some research and eventually bought an Inspiron 9100 myself a little while back.

If you still have questions about the video, let us know.

Good luck.

Olivier

Last edited by olivierv; 13th September 2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11th September 2004, 07:08 PM
flayedchild Offline

superbnerd- The card works fine in XP (I am dual-booting FC2 and XP.... boo hiss.....) I will check the bios setup again, but I all ready ran through that before asking here.

OliverV, thanks for this insight into the similarities between the XPS and the 9100, I will look through the info for that, and get back to you all.

Thanks alot you all,
Its times like this I realise making thr switch to a community operation system was worth it
-=FlayedChild=-
Old 31st October 2004, 03:39 AM
hucast Offline

I have that same card, I've tried it in SuSE, FC2/FC3, RH9, Knoppix, Gentoo (basically everything). The same result, it never ever lights up. I eventually found a cisco aironet 340 and it works like a charm Also works with some 3com cards I have...
Old 31st October 2004, 03:59 AM
heffe2001 Offline

Why not just stick a Mini-PCI in that XPS, then use Driverloader (Linuxant) or NDISwrapper? Works well for me on my 8600 (and worked fine for my 9100).

olivierv: You do know that you can stick a P4 EE proc in that 9100 right? The only real difference between the 9100 & the XPS is the onboard Network connection is gigabit on the XPS, 100mbit on the 9100. You can get the quicksnap covers for the 9100 if you look around (even the XPS specific ones).

Tags
dell, fc2, troubles, xps