Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th March 2009, 06:20 AM
sdlor Offline

Not able to use upgrade option with LVM?

Installed fc8 about a year ago. Had to use text mode because of nvidia video card, but got everything working fine. Dual boot with separate physical drives. (XP on 250G, sda; fc8 on 80 G, sdb). Now trying to replace fc8 with fc10 and hope it will work just as good (still have to use text installation) . However, I have some specific questions as I go:

#1. When I try to use the upgrade existing system option, I get an error that says: "Error mounting device \ / dev/VolGroup001/.Log Vol100 as /: mount: Special device /dev/ \dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 does not exist." Does this mean I need to do a fresh install of fc10, instead of upgrade?

#2 (Backed up and started fresh install). Made the selection to only re-partition and use the 80G (sdb) drive. (leaving the 250G, sda disk alone)..However, the partition table that produces shows values for the sda (250G)disk partitions that will be somewhat different (maybe not significantly) than those I observed in XP's disk manager tool. (For instance Windows says my ntfs partition is 206GB, yet the partition table in the fc10 installer (text mode) says ntfs partition will be 211GB). Is this normal? A 5GB difference? (This is where I aborted the install).

#3 I just want to replace fc8 with fc10, and have it work just like before. One more thing: If I go ahead with fresh installation of fc10 will it give me the option of leaving Grub as it is? (on sdb1 and chainload to XP?) Am hooked on Fedora, but need my 250G drive just as it is.
Old 12th March 2009, 02:52 AM
Jake Offline

Installing Fedora could possibly re-format HDD, and cause grub to disapear, however chainloading XP will be fairly simple to set up again.

If the 200G drive is causing issues, you could detach it (Just unhook it from the Motherboard) and install Fedora that way. But it might not be an issue at all.

As for the LVM. I'm not quite sure on that one, as I've upgraded Fedora with LVM's before.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 12th March 2009, 06:19 AM
sdlor Offline

Still fighting it...

Thanks Jake. After spending hours trying to figure out the right way to to it, and choosing the selections that appeared to me correct, I went ahead and did the new install, rebooted, and came up with the sad result of ending up with just "Grub-" on the screen. Can't get either the Fedora or the XP OS's to boot up. I am able to boot the Fedora rescue program, and I do have a "SuperGrub" CD. But haven't figured out how to use either one yet. Still working on it. Using the Fedora rescue program, I was able to determine that grub.conf was indeed updated to the core 10 kernel, and still looks the same otherwise. That's where I left everything...for now...
Old 13th March 2009, 04:16 AM
sdlor Offline

Ok ...Got f10 working now...Had to go back and re-install with putting Grub on sda. I'm guessing my Bios won't even look at sdb unless something on sda tells it to. Don't know much about this stuff...I'm more into routers and switches...But, it works now. (Note: Had to download and install nvidia driver from rpmfusion to get the graphical interface to work.)