Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th March 2009, 08:09 PM
chris2009 Offline

Exclamation Fedora Encrypted HDD broken : urgent problem

Have been using fedora 10 for some months now and last night turned the computer off quickly after turning it on by mistake.

The HDD is encrypted and usually asks for a password when its turned on to decrypt the HDD before allowing me to login.

Today there is nothing, no password request, just a black screen with a white flashing cursor.

Using a live CD i can attempt to access the HDD and it asks me for a password, but it tells me ive entered the wrong password.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11th March 2009, 03:43 AM
OralDeckard Offline

It may be time to restore it from the most recent backup.
Old 11th March 2009, 03:59 AM
OralDeckard Offline

I'm sorry. I read the last part where your live CD asked for the password and atrributed it to the first part where you said it did not. If it asked for the password that would mean it had booted to that point. But since it did not, it sound like it got some corruption in the boot sequence. That should not be encrypted. You should be able to edit your boot sequence with your live CD or your installation disk.

Do you by chance have a backup of your master boot record ?
I would suggest you create a backup of your MBR, as it exist, as soon as possible. You can edit it, then past the edited and possibly fiexed version back in, in case that was what went wrong.

To backup your MBR go to a terminal with your live CD and enter:
dd if=/def/sda of=MyMBR bs=512 count=1

Tags
broken, encrypted, fedora, hdd, problem, urgent