Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 7th March 2009, 06:31 PM
remeeraz Offline

Thumbs up Vodafone (UK) HSDPA USB Mobile Broadband & Fedora 9 x86_64 works fine! (How To)

I'm posting this new thread because a number of people have asked me about a mobile broadband service that works with Fedora.

The Vodafone Mobile Broadband HSDPA USB Stick works fine! I am using the Pay As You Go stick and set it up in Fedora 9 x86_64 with no problems at all. (At time of writing I was using kernel version 2.6.27.19-78.2.30.fc9.x86_64)

Setting it up is simple, just plug the dongle in, start the "Network Connections" tool from System -> Preferences -> Internet & Network menu or open a terminal and type

Code:
nm-connection-editor
Now go to the "Mobile Broadband" tab and click the "Add" button,
A dialogue box appears;

"Choose a Mobile Broadband Connection

Select or connect the mobile broadband device you wish to
use for the connection. If the device is not available, you
may select a generic connection type."

Choose the first option, wich should be
"Huawei Technologies E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem"
and click "OK"

In the next dialogue box just type a connection name of your choice(eg Vodafone Mobile Broadband) in the top most box labelled "Connection name". This is purely for your own identification in Network Manager.

Leave the "Connect automatically" check box unchecked.

Now the only information you need is "*99#" in the "Number" box and that's it!

Click "Apply" and your done, the connection is ready to use whenever you plug your dongle in.

To initiate the connection just select it from the Network Manager icon on your Panel.

Posted by Francis Reed aka Rem

Last edited by remeeraz; 10th March 2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: I've signed the post

Tags
hsdpa, hsupa, mobile broadband, usb mobile broadband, vodafone