Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th March 2009, 10:20 PM
shaolin Offline

Installed Linux..now what?

Hey everyone,
Its been great getting back into Linux and getting my feet wet with Fedora 10..I have forgotten how fun it is use Linux.

Overall being new to Fedora 10 and this forum...I was able to successfully run F10 on an OLD PC which is great!....cause I would still like to get some more use out of it...

So Far:

1. I did a HD install

2.Turn the Firewall on
Disabled SSH and blocked the service via the firewall (wont be using it for now)
will be going back to disable a few more services such as bluetooth, cups and a few
others in hopes of improving performance...so if you have any suggestions...on which
services should be turned off please post them....this is setup as just a desktop.

3.Turned on SELinux (I had it in permissive mode...after reading some more...will change
it to enforcing...for additional security)

4.Ran and installed the 200+ updates available for F10...not sure if I needed them all but
I guess it better to be safe than sorry...

5.Now...whats next!

What are some really good "WOW"! Apps for Linux.... I'm to convert now all my PCs at home..starting with the newest to run Linux only and want to get to know what Apps are out there good to use...I realize that there is a vast Linux software library out there....but hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 6th March 2009, 10:22 PM
blittle Offline

Bill Gates would ask "Where do you want to go today?"

I'd say, what do you want to do with your computer?
Old 7th March 2009, 04:19 PM
shaolin Offline

Well..it really a matter of what I'm capable of doing...this will be a Linux Desktop...and I'm curious as to what type of applications this community is using.

Like I mentioned...I tweaked my installation of F10...setup up Firewall and security...now I'm kinda just staring and exploring the default installation and wanted to get some apps to mess around with

Thanks
Old 7th March 2009, 04:25 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin
so if you have any suggestions...on which
services should be turned off please post them....this is setup as just a desktop.
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f10.html
Quote:
What are some really good "WOW"! Apps for Linux.... I'm to convert now all my PCs at home..starting with the newest to run Linux only and want to get to know what Apps are out there good to use...I realize that there is a vast Linux software library out there....but hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction.
http://rpmfusion.org/FedoraThirdPartyRepos

HTH,
V
Old 7th March 2009, 05:10 PM
shaolin Offline

Hlingler,
Thanks for the useful link on the services...this really helped out. Now I know what the F10 services are and which are turned on by default...I was able to find 10 services that I really don't need enabled...and seeing how I have F10 installed on a old PC...I'm trying to conserve/free up as much CPU and MEM resources.

I will also be looking into the other link you provided for apps.

Thanks!