Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd September 2004, 07:15 PM
yr2alex Offline

program menu/desktop application launcher

I can think of three or more programs off the top of my head limewire, sancho, azureus that I have recently installed on my FC2 machine that require a .sh file /script to be ran from the cli by by entering the following commands: sh filename.sh or ./filename.sh

My question is as follows, is there a way to create a program menu/desktop application launcher (shortcut) instead of opening the cli navigating to for example /local/usr/LimeWire then running ./runLime.sh or sh runLime.sh in order to run the application?

My children are still used to clicking on desktop icons in a window environment, and I was wondering if there was another way, any assistance would be appreciated as always

In order to crash Linux one must work hard at it- to crash Windows one must simply work in it.
Old 3rd September 2004, 07:30 PM
imdeemvp Offline

yes there is a way,

right click on the desktop and select create a launcher, a menu will appear, give it a name, select an icon and in the command section navagate where the command is and done, now you have a so-call shortcut or symbolic link in linux.......

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

"The greater the struggle THE greater the achievment."

Do you know HIM?

If you are an idiot click here. NThis will test you linux skills :D
Old 3rd September 2004, 09:15 PM
yr2alex Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdeemvp
yes there is a way,

right click on the desktop and select create a launcher, a menu will appear, give it a name, select an icon and in the command section navagate where the command is and done, now you have a so-call shortcut or symbolic link in linux.......
This was the first thing that I tried and it seems to work vey well for .bin executables/files ex: gaim, xine, mplayer, evolution, etc that can be ran in cli by entering app name as command -but as for .sh scripts/files that require you to enter sh or ./ before the app name no sucess...
Old 3rd September 2004, 09:45 PM
imdeemvp Offline

did you install rpm version? http://www.aim.com/get_aim/linux/lat....adp?aolp=#rpm

Easiest and most friendly desktop ever is PCLinuxOS! Includes all this apps. Just try it.

Do you know HIM?

Old 3rd September 2004, 10:28 PM
sailor Offline
Administrator

Location: San Antonio, Texas - Home of the Alamo, the "Cradle of Texas Liberty"
when creating the launch icon...can't you specify the command then "open in terminal" ?

Fedora 20 - Lenovo IdeaPad V570
Old 4th September 2004, 04:04 AM
yr2alex Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdeemvp
yes there is a way,

My apologies to you IMDEEMVP this method did work I was using the wrong .sh file you are truly DEEMVP thank you once again

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 1 John 4:4
Old 4th September 2004, 04:11 AM
imdeemvp Offline

yr2alex,

no problem.......i am glad i can help.....

Do you know HIM?

Tags
application, launcher, menu or desktop, program