Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2009, 04:36 AM
kurtdriver Online

Unable access hard drive /home after booting from usb key

Hi, While booted into F10 on a usb key, I couldn't access the hard drive's /home/kurt directory. So, as root in the usb' os I typed
[root@mybox~]# chown kurt /media/_/home/kurt
I also have installed google desktop and indexed the hard drive with it, but that can't, I think, be the problem, which is: when I booted from the hard drive, into fedora 9,, usb key removed, but I was unable to login through Gnome's login screen. I changed passwords in a virtual console, but still could not login I created a user called test and was unable to switch user from that account to kurt. And then I became root in a gnome-terminal ran nautilus and was not able to get into that directory. Lastly I couldn't access that directory through the command line as root, permission denied. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm backing up now, from the usb key, but I'd still like to get in there. Thanks, Kurt
P.S. This category is a great idea! There are many things that are different about live media.
Old 29th March 2009, 03:39 AM
barf Offline

That is correct you can't access the hard disk in the computer because when you boot from a USB key the key is your hard disk. if you need to access files on the real hard disk then I suppose you could if you mount it first. I'm not sure if that is possible but you could try.
Old 10th April 2009, 02:14 AM
zackf Offline

Yes that is possible, please post the results of
Code:
fdisk -l
I have both my Windows and Ubuntu partitions mounted in my F10 liveusb right now

Last edited by zackf; 10th April 2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: mistagged the code
Old 10th April 2009, 04:17 AM
kurtdriver Online

Thank you each, however I wrote above, " when I booted from the hard drive, into fedora 9, usb key removed". I ended up booting back into the usb key, downloading and running liveusb-creator and moving up to F10 from the CD. Regards, Kurt

Tags
access, booting, drive, hard, key, or home, unable, usb