Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd March 2009, 04:25 PM
Riser Glen Offline

Downgrade alsa driver (snd-hda-intel.ko) sigmatel

I need to downgrade alsa (to at least 1.0.16, so my headphone jack works correctly). What's the best way to do it? Does someone know of an rpm for the current kernel that I can download?

I was able to compile alsa-driver-1.0.16 , though it took forever to get it to run "make" correctly, then I just overwrite the snd-hda-intel.ko file in /lib/modules but the file was over 3 megs compared to about 800k for the original and I kept getting kernel oops when booting up, though sound did work correctly.

I reinstalled F10, and now I can't get "make" to work.

I already tried that whole "changing models, probe_mask, single_cmd" BS. Downgrading is the only thing that works for me.

Please help.
Old 2nd March 2009, 06:30 PM
darkshadow Offline

to downgrade just download the alsa-driver package the version you want and compile/install it that's all

Fedora

Last edited by darkshadow; 10th March 2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2nd March 2009, 07:38 PM
Riser Glen Offline

I said I can't get "make" to work anymore.

Here's what happens when I run "make" with the 1.0.15 alsa driver:
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.x86_64/scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.15/acore/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.

And running "make" with the 1.0.16 alsa driver:

include/linux/mm.h:260: error: conflicting types for ‘snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page’
/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/include/adriver.h:744: error: previous declaration of ‘snd_compat_vmalloc_to_page’ was here
In file included from /home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/hwdep.c:1:
/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_save_state’:
/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/include/adriver.h:1182: error: too many arguments to function ‘pci_save_state’
/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/include/adriver.h: In function ‘snd_pci_orig_restore_state’:
/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/include/adriver.h:1186: error: too many arguments to function ‘pci_restore_state’
make[3]: *** [/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/hwdep.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore] Error 2
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/riserglen/Download/alsa-driver-1.0.16] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.27.15-170.2.24.fc10.x86_64'
make: *** [compile] Error 2
Old 4th March 2009, 01:31 PM
Riser Glen Offline

I installed OSS v4.1 and it works fine. Though I get sound out of speakers & headphones at the same time. I can stop the sound coming out of the speakers by changing one of the drop-down menu choices in ossxmix.

I still want to use alsa, at least until I don't have to do the drop-down menu thing in OSS. So, I'm still trying to figure out the compiling problem.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:15 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Those look like errors which indicate the old version of ALSA won't build against the kernel version you're running (it's too new for the old ALSA). You could patch it, but it wouldn't be trivial, it'd require actual coding knowledge (so I can't help you, sorry :>)

Have you reported the regression in support for your hardware to the ALSA bug tracker?
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 6th March 2009, 01:03 PM
Riser Glen Offline

There's already several posts on the alsa bug tracker about it. I did try the very latest alsa build, and it didn't work either. So, I'm just sticking with OSS for now, and probably will stay with it.

Last edited by Riser Glen; 6th March 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 6th March 2009, 01:27 PM
JonathanR Offline

I use smart to downgrade. yum install smart-gui. Once smart is installed, verify the yum repos have been imported. smart update. Then run smart channel --show, or use the gui and click on edit, channels. Once you have verified your yum channels have been imported, run smart query alsa. This will show you what version is installed and what is available. Smart query is from the command line. In the gui, click on the paper with the magnifying glass (search icon) and type in alsa. In the gui right click and select reinstall, or install on the version you want.
Old 6th March 2009, 08:48 PM
AdamW Offline

You can't downgrade the important bits of ALSA that way, because they're not in separate packages. The actual ALSA drivers are part of the kernel. The only way you can 'downgrade' them is to run an old kernel.

The packages with 'alsa' in their name only contain userspace support bits, not the most important part, the actual kernel drivers.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:13 PM
Riser Glen Offline

I can't downgrade? I did downgrade. It wasn't an ideal solution, with the compiling errors & errors on bootup, but sound did work the way it was supposed to.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:34 PM
AdamW Offline

Sorry, I meant you can't 'downgrade' ALSA by messing with RPMs. You can downgrade it by running an old kernel, or manually compiling an old copy of ALSA and replacing the kernel modules from the tree, or something like that - but you can't downgrade by installing old packages with 'alsa' in the name.

Tags
alsa, downgrade, driver, sigmatel, sndhdaintelko