Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st March 2009, 04:21 AM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Holy moly!

Well, this morning, I cleaned up things and still had a couple of dep errors on the akmod. No biggie. However, I just did a recheck and..... 972 updates!!!! Methinks this will take awhile. BTW, I passed the 3.0 meg size update at #909...yeppers, this could take awhile!
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 1st March 2009, 05:00 AM
bob Offline

Well now! It's been a bit over a half hour and --skip broken has just borked on broken packages, that is after downloading everything and taking 5 to 10 minutes to do the transaction check. Back to 'sh yum.sh' for this one. I'll check it out in the morning.

Old 1st March 2009, 05:10 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Why is it I feel like I walked in during the middle of the movie?

I take it you are talking about F10? Sounds pretty borked, what happened?

edit: oops, never mind, just noticed what forum it is in.
Old 1st March 2009, 05:19 AM
Demz

bob, if you run into the famous rpm problem i know Scottro has posted a howto .. i'll find it http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...2&postcount=28
Old 1st March 2009, 06:03 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

Yes, and suggested on the testing list that they put it an in obvious place. Someone wrote, it's an ugly situation, but nothing can really be done.
My answer was, it's a trivial problem and a note in large font--preferably red--near the download link to the alpha ISOs would fix it completely.

However, remember, this is Fedora, so when it breaks, you can be told how you should have looked somewhere else, or spent 20 minutes googling about it.

There was a massive rawhide update today, so it's possible that it's already been fixed to the point where all one has to do is, immediately after installation, do

yum -y update rpm.

However, I would have to do a fresh install to test that, and it's late. Also, I'm probably going to set up the netbook for my wife, as I've just given into myself, and ordered the brand new ASUS 1000HE.

So, I'll be throwing rawhide on that--it should be in next week.

(Looks at bank account and headlines about more and more companies laying off employees--then, goes back to bury head in sand.)

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 1st March 2009, 07:46 AM
SlowJet Offline

Lots of Molly!

I made it through the updates by doing yum and rpm parts first (I also manually installed the latest koji openoffice.org to skip over 1 version and reduce the download by 120 MB.

It took 3 hours for 889 pkgs and 644 MB (EXT4 got a good workout.)

But firefox became firetransformer. Some screens where like giant leggos.
I had to download the latest minefield and transfer it from another computer to install.
It actually runs better than 3.1b2.

But my fav surprise was gnome-terminal. Text is black w red background and sometimes shows the text and sometimes it's all red.

Other than that, F11 is running good.

SJ
Old 1st March 2009, 07:49 AM
Demz

firefox3.1 beta3 should be out march 4 i think
Old 1st March 2009, 10:55 AM
bob Offline

This is the broken one in my case:
Quote:
akmod-nvidia-180.35-2.fc11.i686 from rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: nvidia-kmod-common >= 180.35 is needed by package akmod-nvidia-180.35-2.fc11.i686 (rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide)
Error: Missing Dependency: nvidia-kmod-common >= 180.35 is needed by package akmod-nvidia-180.35-2.fc11.i686 (rpmfusion-nonfree-rawhide)

and this morning, it looks like we've got an additional 469 packages to play with. Giving skip-broken another chance today. Let's see..... nope!

Quote:
Transaction Check Error:
package akmod-nvidia-180.29-1.fc11.i586 is already installed
file /usr/src/akmods/nvidia-kmod-180.29-1.fc11.src.rpm from install of akmod-nvidia-180.29-1.fc11.i586 conflicts with file from package akmod-nvidia-180.29-1.fc11.i686
So, for the moment, I'll just yum.sh and clear them up. This is a 'fun' partition. Still have Fed 10 and Fed 8 on two other partitions, as well as several other distros. No urgency on the error.

Old 1st March 2009, 11:03 AM
Demz

this might be dumb to mention but what the hell. that would be better to file it in rpmfusion bugzilla
Old 1st March 2009, 11:17 AM
bob Offline

Greg, yes, I've got a working bugzilla on "skip-broken" , which I'll add this to. Then again, the error involves 3rd. party packages so it's not directly related. I'll open up a bugzilla at the rpm-fusion site as you suggest. And, bug 409 is now submitted.

Old 1st March 2009, 11:34 AM
Demz

iv' never used skip-broken as its never worked, then again how many yum plugins actually work
Old 1st March 2009, 11:47 AM
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Well, this morning, I cleaned up things and still had a couple of dep errors on the akmod. No biggie. However, I just did a recheck and..... 972 updates!!!! :eek: Methinks this will take awhile. BTW, I passed the 3.0 meg size update at #909...yeppers, this could take awhile!
There has just been a mass rebuild for the new changes .

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Mass_Rebuild

Quote:
* Architecture Support

This requires a change in redhat-rpm-config for the i586 flags, as well as a koji config change to build for i586 rather than i386 by default. These two changes can happen at any time, and will likely happen this week to shake out any bugs. Dennis Gilmore and Jon Masters are responsible for getting these changes in place.

* GCC 4.4

This requires gcc 4.4.0-0.19 in the buildroots before the mass rebuild begins. Jakub is responsible for getting this built this week.

* Stronger Hashes

This requires redhat-rpm-config changes for default hash, as well as koji code changes to handle the hash. Mike Bonnet and Miloslav Trmač are responsible for getting the koji changes done upstream. Miloslav Trmač and Jon Masters are responsible for getting the redhat-rpm-config changes in place, which depend on the koji changes being live first. A koji outage is scheduled for this weekend to deploy a new version of koji, which will include changes for this feature. An updated redhat-rpm-config will be deployed shortly thereafter to ensure hash changes are in effect.
Old 1st March 2009, 12:24 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

I'm going in. Cover me!
Code:
Install      2 Package(s)         
Update     890 Package(s)         
Remove       1 Package(s)         

Total download size: 697 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 1st March 2009, 12:32 PM
bob Offline

That's strange. After the updates, all my packages are now .deb and my screen has turned .....brown.... (jest kiddin')

Old 1st March 2009, 02:00 PM
Wayne

Umm, I didn't see that many packages when I updated my tester this afternoon, --skip-broken worked OK for some files like Rhythmbox and a couple of its dependencies. Actually, that has been unchanged for a few days!

Wayne

Tags
holy, moly