libxfcegui4-4.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64
gtk-xfce-engine-2.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64
xfce4-appfinder-4.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64
xfce4-dev-tools-4.6.0-1.fc10.noarch
xfce-utils-4.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64
[leigh@localhost ~]$
Old 28th February 2009, 12:03 AM
Demz

think i'll have to get the Beta to try this out, i think XFCE has/almost matured enough but from what i hear there already working on XFCE4.8. http://gezeiten.org/post/2009/02/Tho...nu-for-Xfce-48
Old 28th February 2009, 01:13 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

There's an Xfce 4.6 Test Day scheduled for next month, Xfce fans:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/2009-03-19

just an early heads-up
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 1st March 2009, 12:37 AM
Demz

Sean,

have you tried this yet?
Old 1st March 2009, 02:00 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Hello Greg, Wayne,

No, I wanted to get the deb binary from Xfce just a couple days ago but they were still offering 4.5.9. I havent checked back. I am doing the weekend homework load and church ministries on top of my daughter's 4th birthday party...I am hoping I can find some time tues or wed to DL it and install it on a separate user. From everything I have heard there are many improvements. I think Merlwiz79 will be using it in Mint 7 Xfce CE.
Old 1st March 2009, 02:02 AM
Demz

im gonna give it a go, when/if i get the beta, i need/like a break from the boring Gnome
Old 1st March 2009, 02:57 AM
Wayne

Zenwalk 6.0 RC1 has been released with XFCE 4.6...

Wayne
Old 1st March 2009, 03:10 AM
woelfman10 Offline

Running on F10

I'm giving it a whirl on my F10 install using the GUI installer. If anyone else wants to try it, here's a command to install the majority (if not all) of the development packages for the mandatory, optional, and goody items.
Code:
su -
<root passwd>
yum install -y glib2-devel gtk2-devel libglade2-devel vte-devel libwnck-devel libXres-devel gstreamer-plugins-base-devel gstreamer-devel libSM-devel libnotify-devel GConf2-devel hal-devel dbus-glib-devel libXdamage-devel libxklavier-devel libjpeg-devel hal-devel dbus-glib-devel perl-XML-Parser intltool pcre-devel librsvg2-devel librsvg2-devel gnutls-devel libexif-devel libburn-devel libisofs-devel libsexy-devel libmpd-devel
Hopefully this will at least give you a short-cut. I already had some of the necessary development stuff installed, such as gcc, so such items may be missing from your system.
One thing to note, if you simply go though the GUI to pick off the dependencies, you'll find a dependency on libwnck. The installer doesn't detect libwnck-devel as installed until libXres-devel is installed as well. That was a fun one to track down .

Cheers,

woelf
Old 4th March 2009, 02:29 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

O-tay, I am running 4.6 and it is good. My only complaints, from least to greatest, is the new mixer icon sucks. I like the new mixer functionality, but the old bar icon matched my battery bar.

More importantly though...You know, for years now I have been waiting for those xfce guys to create a nice menu editor. I have heard many smart remarks about this, such as, "doesnt anyone over there know how to edit a menu?" The functionality it did have was a joke, but I learned to create a miscellaneous category that would allow me to add launchers in the menu for apps that didnt show up. It also had neat check boxes so I could hide all the separators, the run command, and all the other stuff I didnt want. See, I just want a very simple menu with just main categories with more complex sub-menus.

Now, with 4.6, we dont even have this basic functionality. Yeah, yeah, so how did I get my menu looking like it does above? I had to manually edit the file. Yeah, I know, waaa...But still, why in the heck cant they just build a decent menu editor? I really just dont get this?

Oh, BTW, my logout is now in the "other" category. I am still trying to figure out how to get that back and in the bottom position separated by a...separator...

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 4th March 2009 at 02:32 AM.
Old 4th March 2009, 02:32 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN4OldSchool View Post
O-tay, I am running 4.6 and it is good. My only complaints, from least to greatest, is the new mixer icon sucks. I like the new mixer functionality, but the old bar icon matched my battery bar.

More importantly though...You know, for years now I have been waiting for those xfce guys to create a nice menu editor. I have heard many smart remarks about this, such as, "doesnt anyone over there know how to edit a menu?" The functionality it did have was a joke, but I learned to create a miscellaneous category that would allow me to add launchers in the menu for apps that didnt show up. It also had neat check boxes so I could hide all the separators, the run command, and all the other stuff I didnt want. See, I just want a very simple menu with just main categories with more complex sub-menus.

Now, with 4.6, we dont even have this basic functionality. Yeah, yeah, so how did I get my menu looking like it does above? I had to manually edit the file. Yeah, I know, waaa...But still, why in the heck cant they just build a decent menu editor? I really just dont get this?
i think there looking at making a Decent menu editor in 4.8.0 http://gezeiten.org/post/2009/02/Tho...nu-for-Xfce-48
Old 4th March 2009, 02:38 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
i think there looking at making a Decent menu editor in 4.8.0 http://gezeiten.org/post/2009/02/Tho...nu-for-Xfce-48
It is one of the very few things keeping Xfce from being perfect. I sure hope they can get 'er done. Till then, I guess we just keep digging in ~/.config/menus.
Old 4th March 2009, 02:40 AM
Demz

it is coming along nicely i think, just lacks that an maybe a few other things
Old 5th March 2009, 12:10 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Xfce uses the XDG menu standard now, I believe, so any menu editor, like the GNOME or KDE ones, should work. Haven't tested this, though, admittedly.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 5th March 2009, 12:39 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
Xfce uses the XDG menu standard now, I believe, so any menu editor, like the GNOME or KDE ones, should work. Haven't tested this, though, admittedly.
Really? I am in windblows now but I do happen to have the gnome menu editor installed so I will try this when I boot back into mint. It would explain why I got the system menu duplicated in settings also. I took care of that through a little creative editing.

Tags
final, released, xfce