Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:08 AM
yzpdsg Offline

Question How to install wireless card drivers for my laptop? (Dell D830 Dell 1390 WLAN card)

HI!I'm using DELL Latitude D830,and it has a wireless card named "Dell WLAN 1390 card".When I turn it on ,nothing happens .So I think maybe I haven't install the drive.But where can I download the very driver for my computer?
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:11 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

I'm not familiar with it, but I've renamed the thread so that perhaps, someone who knows the card, will see the thread. (It's always good to be a bit more specific with your posts. When you have a title like wireless, busy people might just ignore it. But if they see the card in the title, and they've had experience with it, they're far more likely to stop and look at it, and offer help.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:19 AM
yzpdsg Offline

I really appreciate your sincere help.
Old 23rd February 2009, 04:32 AM
stoat Offline

Hello yzpdsg,

That card is well-known around here. Dangermouse at least used to own one. That's significant because he wrote a script to install the driver firmware for it. It's evolved into a couple of rpm packages either of which will probably get your wireless card going in Fedora 10 (that is what you're talking about, right?). Below is an example thread involving the same wireless card. Dangermouse commented in post #3 of that thread. But the poor victim continued to thrash around trying other things for a couple of days and then vanished. Nine months later, the original poster returned to follow up and report that the Dangermouse stuff is what was finally used with the card. You should try it, too.
Need help with Broadcom 1390 WLAN Card
P.S.: The link Dangermouse gave in post #3 of "Need help with Broadcom 1390 WLAN Card" is busted now. Here is that link fixed...
F10 and F9 Set up Script

Last edited by stoat; 23rd February 2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 14th March 2009, 03:26 AM
yzpdsg Offline

Hello everyone!I've tried to install my WLAN card driver with the help of autoten,but I can't see my route in the network table on the right top of my desktop(I can see anyone elses' except mine!).Then I tried the option "connect to a hidden network",typed my route's name and code,but the system just kept asking me to type in the code and at last it couldn't get connection.What can I do now?
Old 14th March 2009, 03:02 PM
stoat Offline

If any of those other available networks are unsecured, then try connecting to one. It will be a good test of the driver. Now back to your router. Turn on SSID broadcast in your router. First, turning it off doesn't really secure your network from a determined neighbor who can get that SSID in short order from packet traffic. Secondly, turning SSID broadcasting on may help you connect to your own router.

Next, try updating your system or at least the kernel and NetworkManager by any means available. For example, connect by wire to your router to do the update if you possibly can.

Next, make sure that you are in range of your router. Try to reduce interferring objects between the computer and the router.

Next, try changing the channel that your router is broadcasting on. That is known to help sometimes.

Lastly (for now), and I know it sounds silly, but open your router's setup utility and actually confirm the SSID, encryption passphrase, and encryption type. I know that you think you know all of that. But I would check anyway. It's happened here before (and more than once) that someone has gone mad typing in the wrong passphrase over and over. I have done it twice myself.

Last edited by stoat; 14th March 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 14th March 2009, 09:21 PM
One Way Dave Offline

I also have similar problems. But on Dell D630 with Broadcom 1390 (4312). I installed autoten broadcom 43 package (and some other stuff) and now Foxfire will not work, just a blank address bar and nothing I type in does anything. I tried uninstalling autoten but that didn'[t work. Bookmarks are now blank in Foxfire (although I had several there before). Short of reloading FC-10 x86-64 what can I do to get Mozilla Foxfire back and the wireless working?
Old 14th March 2009, 09:39 PM
One Way Dave Offline

Sorry if I caused any inconvienence but Mozilla Foxfire is working. I still have issues with getting the Broadcom 1390 (4312) wireless working. BTW the 830 and the D630 are almost the same machines, I'm told. Thanks, Dave.
Old 18th March 2009, 11:41 AM
One Way Dave Offline

I've solved my wireless issues by reinstalling Fedora 10 from a iso CD. Then installed the firmware from Broadcom. I think I had tried so many different "fixes" that things in the setup of the original install were changed 'cause I had tried the Broadcom firmware before without success. On the fresh install it worked like a charm. Good luck, Dave.
Old 18th March 2009, 03:19 PM
yzpdsg Offline

Now I'm encounting a weird problem.Sometimes my wireless card can work pretty well (I didn't do anything),while sometimes it can't work at all.The system keeps asking me to input the correct code.I don't know why and very confused about it.

Tags
1390, card, d830, dell, drivers, install, laptop, wireless, wlan