<---- template headericclude ----->
How to properly remove Pulseaudio?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to properly remove Pulseaudio?

I have recently installed FC10 x86_64 and have it to the most part setup how I want it now.

My problem is I have no need for pulseaudio and I am trying to get rid of some of this extra type of software from my setup. I have an Audigy2 ZS wich does it's own hardware mixing in Linux and this is the only feature in Pulseaudio that I would be interested in if I didn't have it already.

Using the Add/Remove Software tool in FC10 and doing a search for Pulseaudio pulls up several things. Naturally I would just uncheck all the pulseaudio stuff that is installed and hit apply.

But when I hit apply... I notice it wants to also remove important parts of FC10 installation.
    Stuff like gdm and gnome-panel are going to get removed. Well, lol, obviously this is not desired.

So, I am here asking how the heck do I remove pulseaudio and retain everything else?

Edit:
    Just a very simple killall -9 pulseaudio fixed all my video (mouse curser),audio stuttering issues in my games, dvd's, music playback.
    I wouldn't have realized pulseaudio could have created the video issue with the mouse and in my games.... Seems it still needs a bit of work for cards with their own hardware mixing so it doesn't create these types of issues.
    I did not see a pulseaudio options in the services options. How do I go about just stopping it from even starting up upon a fresh boot?

Edit2:
    Ok, just went through and tested everything on my machine audio and video wise. All video playback or rendering is the way it is supposed to be. All audio playback and recording is now the way it is supposed to be. I can now use TeamSpeak with any game and have audio from both at the same time. Pulseaudio devs should really consider a pass through or auto-detect script for cards that can play multiple sounds at once from different sources. As pulseaudio under this circumstance just makes things 100x harder to use and get setup properly.

Edit3:
    And for my Final edit of this post.
    Goto System -> Preferences -> personal -> Sessions
    Scroll down to where it says Pulseaudio Sound System. Uncheck it and all the pulseaudio problems upon a reboot go away.
    Last edited by MNKyDeth; 15th February 2009 at 01:52 AM.
    Desktop | Ryzen 3800x | AMD 5700xt | 970 Pro nvme | MSI MEG Ace x570 | Asus Xonar STX | Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro 4k | 32Gb ram | SeaSonic 1000w PSU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you look at:
    Code:
    man pulse-daemon.conf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just read through that file. Thanks didn't know there was a man page for pulse audio. But....

It seems pulseaudio is pretty heavily driven by cpu with the arguments you pas to it. I can see where this is beneficial to audio chips that require software to do their jobs for the resampling rates and mixing of channels and so forth. But what about audio chips that do this within their chip? Don't these chips experience increased overhead now from the cpu?

Like if I normally used only 5% of my cpu for an audio application and now with pulseaudio sitting on top of it, it increases the cpu usage to say 45% because it is now doing the audio process on my cpu and not on my audio chip. Granted with onboard software audio chips you would never see the difference. But if I can reduce my cpu utilization with by having a hardware driven card like the audigy2 zs is or audigy4 or X-Fi wouldn't I prefer to have no pulseaudio at all?

This is what I am trying to find out and is what I believe untill I can cough up some real benchmarks on my own here through some of my tests.
    And why the heck would a home desktop user want to have an audio server that streams over there network unless of course they are using their machine for a multimedia center on the tv or stereo system?

The only benefit to software driven audio chips I can even fathom that pulseaudio brings to the table is channel mixing so you can use more than one audio source at a time.

I know I complain and moan about it and I know most people out there use the super crappy onboard audio chips for their sound reproduction so I can see where including pulseaudio is good. But what about us out there that have absolutely no need for it, because it brings nothing to the table for us?

I mean, I am really happy with Fedora Core 10 x86_64. It does what I need it to do and then some. But having pulseaudio made it take basically an entire extra day for me to setup where as if it wasn't included I could have been on my merry way 15min after the initial install of the OS.

Imo... Pulseaudio should be an optional thing not something that is built in. Every Linux OS I have tried that has it built in by default gives these issues for me. Any that doesn't include it work on the audio side as soon as I boot into the OS. And what I mean by doesn't work is I have to fiddle with the audio settings to get rid of the stuttering, choppy video playback and erratic mouse movements.

System specs for reference:
    Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2Ghz
    4gig ram
    4gig ramdisk
    500gig hdd 32MB cache
    audigy2 zs
    GTX 260 896Mb
    Abit IP35-E mobo
    Hauppauge Wintv2-go tv tuner

A middle of the road machine by todays standards and it serves me well. If I take the audigy2 zs out and use the onboard intel HD audio even with pulseaudio I still have to play with it in order to get software mixing working properly anyways. So as I see it pulseaudio is a worthless addition to any distrobution unless I am missing a very important part to why it is included.
    Last edited by MNKyDeth; 16th February 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I would recommend it, but if one really wants to be rid of pulseaudio, the easiest way to remove it is simply:
    yum remove pulseaudio
    (and it'll remove all associated items automatically).

Then, logout/login.

Demz Guest
    Rex

isnt pulseaudio tied into GDM?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not that I'm aware (but I don't use gdm).

Demz Guest
    ohh ok. im sure it is. if i recall if you say remove pulseaudio it wants to remove gdm an other things aswell
    Code:
    ================================================================================
     Package                    Arch     Version                  Repository   Size
    ================================================================================
    Removing:
     pulseaudio                 i386     0.9.14-1.fc10            installed   1.2 M
    Removing for dependencies:
     alsa-plugins-pulseaudio    i386     1.0.18-2.fc10            installed    89 k
     kde-settings-pulseaudio    noarch   4.1-6.20090206svn.fc10   installed    0.0 
     pulseaudio-esound-compat   i386     0.9.14-1.fc10            installed   3.2 k
     pulseaudio-module-gconf    i386     0.9.14-1.fc10            installed    16 k
     pulseaudio-module-x11      i386     0.9.14-1.fc10            installed    43 k

Transaction Summary
    Install      0 Package(s)         
    Update       0 Package(s)         
    Remove       6 Package(s)
    so it doesnt remove GDM, weird i saw in another thread/post it wanted to remove GDM to
    Last edited by Demz; 22nd February 2009 at 05:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you try to remove pulseaudio-libs and/or pulseaudio-libs-glib2,
    it will trying to uninstall gdm and gnome. You can uninstall all other
    pulseaudio related bits.

Demz Guest
    that must of been it . so in the end people will just have to end up Disabling it,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you try to remove libpulseaudio 64bit, then it wants to remove a lot of things. So you need then one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pulseaudio != libpulseaudio.

removing the 'pulseaudio' pkg is all that is required to effectively not use it. Of course removing random lib* will lead to dependency madness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdieter
    pulseaudio != libpulseaudio.

removing the 'pulseaudio' pkg is all that is required to effectively not use it. Of course removing random lib* will lead to dependency madness.
    No, not really. I already removed all of pulseaudio, except for that one lib. I was able to remove libpulseaudio i386.

Why not take a look at rpm -q --requires <packagename>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes really. no pulseaudio pkg present really does mean that pulseaudio is effectively disabled.

The mere presence of other pkgs that happen to have "pulseaudio" somewhere else in their name (ie, libpulseaudio) has no bearing on the truth of my assertion.