Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 12th February 2009, 08:02 AM
hephasteus Offline

Why are there so many people on fedora forums lately

Has anyone else noticed that theres always like 5000 or more people on here lately?
Old 12th February 2009, 09:47 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

Because the Linux movement continues to build. One by one, people are beginning to see the light.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 12th February 2009, 09:48 AM
Demz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hephasteus View Post
Has anyone else noticed that theres always like 5000 or more people on here lately?
why there's lots here?.. cause there all bored an ther newspapers dont provide enough entertainment so they come here
Old 12th February 2009, 10:02 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
I've often thought that we're picking up on more than just the FedoraForum stats:

Currently Active Users: 5838 (149 members and 5689 guests) Sure, there are lookers that never join, but at 5AM EST, we've got nearly 5700 of them???? Not realistic. So, we'd have to have access to how the scan is set up to find the reason, and as CM's, Admins and Members, we simply don't.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:08 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

I would argue with the not realistic statement Bob. Since this is an international forum it's obviously a different time of the day depending on your particular location.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 12th February 2009, 10:21 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
Nope, I just checked. It's now 5:17AM.

However, I just can't believe that at any one time we have over 5000 people, not members, just checking things out here. It would seem that with a testing distro, especially one with a less-than-perfect search engine, you'd take a couple of minutes to join and ask a question once in awhile. I mean, does it seem reasonable that we'd have a 50-1 ratio? Might be, I suppose, but I'd expect closer to a 5-1 ratio.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:58 AM
Theodor009 Offline

Some of us may only login when we post and log right back out And even though it's 0556, think hey I can't sleep, I'll read the forums. It's like a glass of warm milk
Old 12th February 2009, 01:30 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

Hmmmm.

I dunno, Bob.

I'm thinking those numbers might be fairly accurate.

http://www.quantcast.com/fedoraforum.org

But it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
Old 12th February 2009, 01:33 PM
Jake Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Nope, I just checked. It's now 5:17AM.

However, I just can't believe that at any one time we have over 5000 people, not members, just checking things out here. It would seem that with a testing distro, especially one with a less-than-perfect search engine, you'd take a couple of minutes to join and ask a question once in awhile. I mean, does it seem reasonable that we'd have a 50-1 ratio? Might be, I suppose, but I'd expect closer to a 5-1 ratio.
Bob, in my time zone, your post was at 10:21AM .
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 12th February 2009, 01:36 PM
shess01 Offline

Whatever the case, there sure do seem like a whole lot more noobs on the forum lately...
Old 12th February 2009, 01:46 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hephasteus View Post
i think that's because of vbulletin too.
It keeps counting one user until his session is alive. When his session expire he's removed.
So, if the session is set to one hour, and a user opens one single post in the forum... for one whole hour he's showed as online user/guest.
That is why if you close your Firefox window, without clinking on LogOut, for the next hour(s?--at least one) you'll be visible in the online users list..with your last "location" and if you click on "Logout", as you will open at least one page without be a logged-user, you'll be counted as a guest anyway
im not fully sure, but i think that may be a reason

bye!!!!
Old 12th February 2009, 01:53 PM
Jake Offline

Bee is right, if you arrange members by last online on Who's online, and then click last, when I checked it the very last persons activity was at 9AM, The Administrators should knock the time down to 15 Minutes then expire or 30.
Registered Linux ID: #456478
Old 12th February 2009, 02:10 PM
dragonbite Offline

Hey, it's better than the alternative (nobody on the fourms)!

I've only been coming to the forums regularly for a couple of weeks now (since I installed Fedora 10 on my laptop) so if you are comparing now to before then, then I'm one of those "new" poeple. (did any of that make sense?)
Old 12th February 2009, 02:34 PM
Noblacktie Offline

It isn't unreasonable.

Ubuntuforums have around 10,000 users (5:95 reg'd versus guests) at any one time... from >750,000 members.

Considering how established Fedora is, having half the number of active users seems about right when you take into account that there're far fewer "What distro should I try next" type of posters here.
Old 12th February 2009, 02:40 PM
dragonbite Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblacktie View Post
It isn't unreasonable.

Ubuntuforums have around 10,000 users (5:95 reg'd versus guests) at any one time... from >750,000 members.

Considering how established Fedora is, having half the number of active users seems about right when you take into account that there're far fewer "What distro should I try next" type of posters here.
Fedora's been getting some good press regarding being a good desktop app (and Ubuntu competitor but I think that's for blogs and articles getting eyeballs) which is probably bringing some people in here as well.