Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th February 2009, 08:00 PM
Defiantone Offline

Long Term support

Hello

I was wondering if there will be a Fedora version that will have Long Term support for it.

I LOVE Fedora. I have been using since Fedora Core 2. I like that is constantly evolving and getting better with each passing version. I keep learning more and more with each new version and have gotten much better at dealing with issues as they arise (which aren't many), but I would to keep with one version for awhile.

I did just upgrade all my older Fedora station to 10 and would like them to stay here but still be able to get updates for it 3 years from now.
I have used other distro's as well like Ubuntu, Suse, Knoppix....etc. but have always come back to Fedora as my main workstation. I have made the switch away from MS... at least in MY house.

While I do understand that this is a testing bed for the real Red Hat releases, but can we have one version that will be around for longer then a year.

So far I love the look and feel of Fedora 10. Is there any way that we can keep getting support for it 2 years from now.

I would like to thank ALL the people that are involved in the ongoing process of keep up Mickey$oft FREE.
GOD LOVES PENGUINS TOO .

Last edited by Defiantone; 8th February 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 8th February 2009, 08:09 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiantone View Post
GOD LOVE PENGUINS TOO.
OMGo(sh).... what an unlucky god penguins don't love any god
And i think, no luck with the 2 years of support for F10 neither

bye!!!!!!
Old 8th February 2009, 08:20 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
The short answer is 'no'. Fedora is a testing distro for new and improving software and is not intended to be a long-term distro by design. You might want to consider CentOS, which is a 'free' version of Red Hat and does have long-term potential. Of course, there's nothing wrong with simply leaving a perfectly functioning version of Fedora running smoothly without updates.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 8th February 2009, 08:23 PM
axet Offline

thanks for good words.

how you plan to use fedora with long term? if as desktop, then you can avoid all future vulnerabilities and stay with current desktop applications, kernel and updates which you currently have. I pretty sure you do not need to update to next distro becaue you do not want to see last gnome/eclipse or other application features.

if you plan to use fedora as server, then probably you want to switch to redhat distro or cent os distro and get feature stability which you want to see.

i see no reason for long term support, sorry.
Old 8th February 2009, 08:34 PM
bee Offline
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Of course, there's nothing wrong with simply leaving a perfectly functioning version of Fedora running smoothly without updates.
Hi honey bee bob!!!!!!!
Well, yeah!!! except for some security bugfix maybe ....
Btw you could use your F10 for one whole year with every updates!!! i know ...it's just half of what you were asking, but for what is worth "one more year" !! maybe you could take the risk to use some old software as you were asking for a desktop PC, i think
Even if it's like living in a ice crystal, because it'll be difficult to find new software to install, whenever eventually you'll need it

Well, maybe it's just better CentOS .... or take a couple of afternoons each year to download and install the new Fedora

bye!!!!!!
Old 9th February 2009, 12:56 AM
marcrblevins Offline

We had this thread alot. One is CentOS and the other is Ubuntu LTS.

Another thought was skip all odd version of Fedora. Just fresh install Fedora 8, Fedora 10, Fedora 12, beyond.
Old 9th February 2009, 01:41 AM
oldwierdal Offline

I used CentOS 5.2 until just recently, when I installed Fedora 9. CentOS is rock solid, but it is a bit like wearing Perry Como sweaters and listening to the crooners. (If you're under age 40, don't ask. It would take too long to answer.)
At the moment, I'm using Fedora 9, and will probably do the opposite alternate routine, skipping the even numbers, for a while, till CentOS 6 comes out. I'm just more comfortable with the rpm-based distributions, especially Fedora/Red Hat/CentOS. Debian-based are all good, I suppose, but I just didn't feel at home with them.

Just my $0.02. (Which, adjusted for inflation means I'm probably about $250,000.00 in debt.)

owa

Tags
long, support, term